Help, My ruby is sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Patricia Jane, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Went out this morning to give them their warm oatmeal and noticed my Brown leghorn has a slight gurgle when she breathes and has a cough. New at this but sounds respiratory. Her comb and wattle are red, eyes are clear, nose is clear. I don't know about her droppings, I have 10 chickens but looked around their yard and haven't seen any unusual looking droppings. She is slightly puffed and definately not her active self. She hasn't layed in 2 days. She lays every other day and should of layed yesterday. Should I seperate her now? No one seems to be bothering her. All the others seem fine so far. The only antibiotic I have is Duramycin-10. If I need to give this to her how much. I have a 3 gal or a 1 gal waterer. Please...my poor girl is sick. I need any advise. Ive looked through my Chicken Health Handbook but it's like looking for a needle in a hay stack.

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Yes! Segregate her. Then do a search on this forum (Emegencies/Diseases...) for "respiratory". You should find many posts about it for help! As usual with these girls...you need to act as quickly as possible. I'm sure someone will login with more specific info for you, but this will be a good start to get some education on the issue! Good luck!!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Mix a quart of water each day and add 3/4 teaspoonful of duramycin 10. Pour it out each day and mix new because it does not last. Good luck.

4. Patricia Jane

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    I have her in a large dog crate in my backporch. How long do I give her duramycin? Thanks for all your help.

5. tigerrrrrrrlilly

tigerrrrrrrlilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:x2 I use duramycin 10 for respiratory and it usually clears up in 3-5 days. 3/4 tsp per qt is fine, be sure it is her only source of water though. You can also safely treat the whole flock just in case, and not have to separate her.
    I prefer to do mine individually, only because I hate using antibiotics unless necessary. I don't want my chickens to build up resistance for those times when I really have no other option but to medicate.

6. Patricia Jane

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Thanks so much for all your help. I agree, I don't want to treat my whole flock unless I have too. I will definately keep an eye on all of them and will treat if needed. You have both made me feel more at ease. I dread having my babies sick.

7. Patricia Jane

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Not sure if I should start a new post but I read another thread on here that a rooster has a gurgle. They were told that it's probably worms not respiratory. It gets mis diagnosed a lot. Do you think that may be whats wrong with Ruby? It wouldnt hurt her right? I havent wormed her. She is a 15months.

8. tigerrrrrrrlilly

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I would keep an eye on her droppings and check for worms. I wouldn't deworm unless I saw something, at least not until she was feeling better. Either way you aren't doing any harm using the duramycin now. Gurgling, even if it were from worms, would likely be caused by a secondary infection and not by the actual worms themselves in my opinion. Keeping her warm, eating and drinking are most important for recovery. Vitamins are helpful too.

Good luck, hope she recovers quickly for you. [​IMG]

9. Patricia Jane

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Thanks Tigerrrrrrrlilly. As for vitamins I have water soluble powder Vitamins & Electrolytes "Plus". Can I use it along with the Duramycin? If so what amt would I use. Thanks again for all your help. I can't tell you enough how much help youv'e been.

10. tigerrrrrrrlilly

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Oh your welcome. I know how upsetting it is for some of us to have one of our babies sick. [​IMG]

As for using the vitamins along with. I know it's fine for them to have both but no idea if one would deplete the other if mixed together in water. I usually give vitamins orally or in the food when I'm using an antibiotic. Maybe you can call the company that makes the vitamins you have and ask them?

Dosage should be on the package. If it seems complicated to figure out for one chicken tell me what it says and I'll figure it out for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by