Help!!! My Serama has two swollen eyes :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Stephil2007, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Stephil2007

Stephil2007 New Egg

Nov 25, 2014
    Hi,

Ive niticed my female Serama hen (Tina) has been under the weather lately, just a bit off. Yesterday evening I went to lock them up and I always have a little check on them inside once they are secured. On peering insideive noticed Tina had two little sacks bulging out, on a closer look she has blister like sacks which are full of fluid at the corner of each eye (beak end), water like fluid is discharging out of the side of these little sacks. I have seperated her from the rest of the flock and brought her in doors. Any suggestions what this maybe ir treatments? Both her eyes are currently open.

2. Stephil2007

Stephil2007 New Egg

Nov 25, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Swelling around the eyes can be a sign of mycoplasma (MG) or coryza. Is she new or have you added a new chicken that may have been a carrier of a disease? Is there any bad odor around her face? Tylan and oxytetracycline are used commonly to treat symptoms of MG. Coryza is treated with Sulfadimethoxine or Sulmet.

4. Stephil2007

Stephil2007 New Egg

Nov 25, 2014
    She's not new, I added 3 new hens to my flock, but that was nearly 3 months ago. Thanks for the advice.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  6. newchickincoop

newchickincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2014
    Wildomar Ca.
    Hi sorry to hijack this thread but.... My flock I'd getting through fowl pox and I found a 10 week old with this and bubbles in one eye. I used neisporine after flushing with saline for 3 days and the bubbles subsided . But I thought the bump was the start of another pox lesion. Am I wrong should I treat with tylan and sulmet ?

7. newchickincoop

Oct 24, 2014
    Wildomar Ca.
    @Stephil2007 I hope she gets better! I will follow thread as I am curious if I Am misdiagnoising mine :( good luck

8. newchickincoop

Oct 24, 2014
    Wildomar Ca.
    @Stephil2007
    How is your his eyes?
    Happy thanksgiving!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by