HELP - my sick pullet (have posted before)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by schnebbles, Oct 20, 2013.

1. schnebbles

schnebbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    my pullet who has been ill with not sure what is dying. No movement today at all, no drinking, no pecking at food, only sleeping.

I started tube feeding her 2 days ago. She pooped some brown poop (vs green) finally. I fed her today but she's going down fast.

I didn't get the Kaytee exact yet (was gonna tomorrow). I had mixed pumpkin, canned veggies (mostly carrots), and a little yogurt and was giving her that.

Should I continue in hopes of getting nutrients into her? I'm afraid I waited too late to tube her.

Background in case you haven't read - she lost a lot of weight which I thought was due to respiratory. Brought in, treated with tylan and got sneezing gone. No symptoms other than weight loss and has had green poop. She ate some, enough to sustain for the past couple weeks inside.

thank you! need to feed again if I should proceed with that.

2. BettyBlueSilkie

BettyBlueSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    WA
    send a picture of her and her poo and I will get back to you as soon as I can

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Yes,continue tube feeding,you can also add her feed,i use a coffee bean grinder and grind feed up and add pablum,wet cat food,i use electrolytes/vitamin mix as base(i had to make my own formula as i could not locate the Kaytee and it was an emergency). I have tube fed a silkie for 9 days,after 6 days he started pecking at his food,dropped tube feeding to once a day,finally he started fighting the tube so i let him eat on his own,he is now perfectly fine and wants to be with me all the time,such a funny boy. Make sure she is kept warm,this is very important as birds cannot regulate their body temp when ill. I also was giving my boy aspirin for pain/swelling as i had no idea what was wrong,i crushed the aspirin and placed in water. Dose is 25mg per lb of body weight,you can use a baby aspirin 81mg or a reg 325mg aspirin. For keeping him warm,i used a hot water bottle wrapped in a pillowcase,placed beside him in a cat bed.

4. schnebbles

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    [​IMG]
    It's hard to get a good pic and this is the only piece I have! it had been visibly green but darker today since I fed her more yesterday. Always nice and firm.

I have trouble getting food ground up enough to go thru the syringe. I'll try can cat food in the syringe.

I did have vit/elec in the mix. Forgot to say that. Also vit b

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  5. BettyBlueSilkie

BettyBlueSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    WA
    that is fine I would try a vet if it gets any worse. sorry I can't think of any thing else, I will search online for any tricks.

6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    When my silkie was ill,he was basically comatose,no movement,sleeping all day,nothing. What i have found is that when birds are ill,they go into sleep mode and become lethargic,one of the reason is that they are conserving energy,they have a very high metabolism which requires constant supply of food to fuel their body/regulate body temp,when food supply is limited or not there they shut down(they go into these mini sleep modes at night also). Heat is equally important as they are unable to regulate body temp when ill. Unfortunately this is the nature of birds and after they have not eaten for a period of days,they don't eat,their body starts to shut down,this is why tube feeding in my opinion is crucial to their recovery.

7. schnebbles

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    ok, just gave her another 2 3cc tubes. Mixed up: cat food canned, yogurt, honey, peas, mixed veg, pumpkin and the vitamin water/electrolytes with a super B per gallon for water. I'm not sure how many tubes to give her. Probably more frequent is best. I don't want to overstuff and kill her. I have her wrapped in a blanket. She is less than a pound now, I'm sure. I need to weigh her next time I get her up. she is much prettier now, but this is her. gorgeous bantam cochin.

[​IMG]

8. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    If you think she might have fungal issues, I'd leave out the honey, but it sounds like you're giving her lots of very nutritious kinds of food!!

Fungal issues can cause respiratory problems as well as wasting away. In early stages, the bird may eat plenty but will still lose weight because of the fungus inside. In later stages, the bird may not eat very well most of the time. There's more info on my website, too.
    Is there any point where she might have gotten hold of some moldy food or been around some moldy flooring or anything?

9. schnebbles

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    No, I don't think it's fungal. No moldy food or anything. I'm careful about that.

When our weather cooled/got damp she and my silkie who I put down yesterday from mareks, got sneezy. Tylan treated it, after duramycin didn't work. I thought she was ok outside (before tylan) but come to find out she had become very thin. that's when she came in.

she wakes up every so often and tiny sneezes now. bundled in a blanket.

10. schnebbles

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    oh - how often should I do this? I was going to do 3 hours but her crop is still full feeling. I'm going to bed.

Am I going to have to try and take her to work and feed her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by