Help! My silkie hen got attacked!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silkiemelon, Oct 8, 2012.

1. silkiemelon

silkiemelon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    Washington
    I honestly thought I would never have to post on this thread.
    I was not home today, but this was my sisters account.

Last 2 weeks ago I moved my chickens into a new coop, if that is of any significance.
    My sister said at 12:00 she saw my 6 month old silkie cockerel, pippin, chasing around my nine month old hen, pompy, out in the run.
    She assumed pippin was just trying to mount her because that's the sort of thing he's been trying out lately.

An hour later, she looked outside and he was STILL chasing her around. A half hour after that, she saw my hen laying out in the run while pippin "stood guard" at the entrance to the coop.
    She said pompy was laying there for almost an hour until she went out to check on her. She claimed that pompy was "unconcious" if that's even possible for a chicken.

Most of the feathers on the back of her head are gone, and there is some blood, and her head is swollen.
    [​IMG]

Her eyes are close, but when I dip her beak in water she drinks it. She's breathing slowly.

What should I do? Is she in some sort of shock? Should I clean it or bandage it, or just let nature do its course?

And what does this mean for my rooster? What's his deal? He's such a sweetheart, I can't belive this happened!

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Are you sure the rooster caused the injury or was he just pecking at her after she got injured? Chickens will peck at injured birds.

I would keep her isolated until her is fully healed. Keep her warm and very clean. Clean the wound and put NON PAIN relief neosporin. Make sure she is well watered and maybe give electrolytes. I wouldn't bandage it.

Monitor and then reassess if anything changes.

3. silkiemelon

Apr 11, 2012
    Washington
    I'm not sure, I wasn't there.
    I assume it was him because he was chasing her around for nearly 2 hours.
    They were the only ones outside.

Let me go clean it right now!

4. silkiemelon

Apr 11, 2012
    Washington
    Update:
    I've cleaned the wound, but then I had to leave for a couple hours. But now I'm back, and the first thing I did was check on her.
    I think she may have a neck injury.
    Her neck was bent at an awkward angle, and I had noticed earlier she had let her head droop while I was tending to her.
    She has not lifted up her head once. I have to tip her head back for her when she drinkes or else it will just come back out.

Any ideas? I'm desperate!!

5. mychickenbrood

mychickenbrood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Central Valley CA.
    I wish I had answers for you. It does seem that it could be neurological. That might heal itself. Keep her very quiet and try not to bend her neck anymore than you have to. I would give her cool water from an eye dropper. Then, tomorrow, I would make a mash out of oatmeal or something like that, but very refined or perhaps blended, like baby food consistancy, and see if you can feed small amounts with an eye dropper. Keep her warm and in a quiet, dark place. Good luck with her. I can imagine your distress.

6. silkiemelon

Apr 11, 2012
    Washington
    Thank you for your help! I will try the oatmeal.
    I will update tomorrow.
    Right now she doesn't seem to good, but that might improve overnight.

7. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    she is most likely in shock from the injury. Keep her nice and warm and offer her food and water. You can see if you could get some sugar water down her for some energy. It looks like the little cockerel is being a little too rough trying to mate her. Keep her wound clean and dry and hopefully she will snap out of it.

8. silkiemelon

Apr 11, 2012
    Washington
    Thank you guys!
    So update.
    It's 6:15 in the morning and I just checked on her again, and something weird had happened.
    She had layed an egg except the egg was a soft-shell egg, like all it had was the membrane and no shell. All squishy.

What does that mean? Is it because she hasn't eaten or are her systems shutting down?
    Besides that she seemed exactly the same as yesterday [​IMG]

9. mychickenbrood

mychickenbrood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Central Valley CA.
    I don't have the answer, but I am really pulling for her. Please keep us updated. Seems poultry is so fragile when injured; at least that is my experience.

The sugar water seems like a really good idea. Possibly lukewarm? Might be soothing to her too.

10. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    It may just be stress. Give her some time and keep an eye on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by