Help! My silkie hen only lays on her eggs at night !

Dreaa0809

Hatching
Mar 18, 2021
Hey I need advice, my silkie hen only lays on her eggs at night and in the morning and then she comes out after 12 and spends all day outside n then at night she lays on them again. Should I take the eggs away? Is this her being broody? Or will she eventually just stay laying on them ? Or do I take them out ?😫😫

First, does she normally roost? Is her sleeping on a nest new for her? Silkies often don’t roost like larger birds do, so sleeping in a nest may just be more comfortable for her.
If she’s truly broody, you’ll know by her behavior. She’ll be very grumpy with you when she’s on the nest if you try to move her or take eggs. She would growl at you and fluff out. She’d look flattened like a pancake keeping the eggs warm.

Sounds like she just might be a nest sleeper to me.

Does she get mad at you if you get close?
It sounds like it may be a best sleeper.
Does she poop in the nesting box?
No she’s a really nice hen, like right now I went to go close their coops door and I noticed she was in there so I put my hand under to see if she’s laying on them and she is, but she didn’t even seemed bother 😊

First, does she normally roost? Is her sleeping on a nest new for her? Silkies often don’t roost like larger birds do, so sleeping in a nest may just be more comfortable for her.
If she’s truly broody, you’ll know by her behavior. She’ll be very grumpy with you when she’s on the nest if you try to move her or take eggs. She would growl at you and fluff out. She’d look flattened like a pancake keeping the eggs warm.

Well she’s on them rn, I usually move them to the side in the morning because they can fill out and she moved them under her. I put my hand under her and she got stiff lol but not grumpy. Also she used to sleep by the rooster out of the nest until recently

No she’s a really nice hen, like right now I went to go close their coops door and I noticed she was in there so I put my hand under to see if she’s laying on them and she is, but she didn’t even seemed bother 😊
Then she probably just likes to sleep in the box. I have a hen like that too

Does she get mad at you if you get close?
It sounds like it may be a best sleeper.
Does she poop in the nesting box?
No she does not get mad, she’s always been really sweet. And she used to slee next to the rooster out of the nest and these past few days she’s beenaying on them, and every morning I move them to the side so they won’t fall and she places them under her when she goes into the coop at night. And she has her butt sticking out to she poops out of the nest

I’m going to say, although most of that info is accurate, I have a white silkie Bantam named Mochi. She gets broody often. Really broody. But she’s the sweetest thing. We don’t have any Roos, so therefore the eggs aren’t fertilized, so we eat them. When I go to collect eggs, I move her over. She doesn’t fight at all. She just rolls over. Doesn’t event make a sound. :)

Then she probably just likes to sleep in the box. I have a hen like that too
But once she gets off them in the morning I move them to the side so they won’t fall off and at night she moves the eggs under her :( you think if I buy an incubator the eggs are still fertile?

Back
Top Bottom