Help my silkie hen sounds like a rooster!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mcgertylee, Jul 29, 2010.

1. mcgertylee

mcgertylee Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2010
    Waialua, Hawai`i
    Help! My 14 week old Silkie "hen" is occasionally sounding like a rooster! Its not a clear crowing, but pretty close. She is white, has no wattle, no comb, and no spurs. Her tail is fluffy, of course, but not like a roos. She does have a mulberry nub above her nose, but it is not a loose comb. She is mainly kept inside the house and can see and hear my other roo who is with the other hens outside. I don't want her hurt, so I watch carefully when she is out with the others. She really likes this and I know she wants to be with them, until she is chased and comes running to me. Could she be lonely and wants to communicate with the largest chicken (the roo)? I know that hens will sometimes take over the roo persona with hens if there is know roo around. Any insight to this behaviour? If she is a hen, will she not lay any eggs while identifying with a roo? I got her when she was about 12 weeks old and was assured by the Silkie breeder that she is a hen. She was with a mature, white Silkie rooster and had none of his rooster attributes. This "crowing" started when I was on vacation about three weeks ago, and she was next door with a neighbor, but could still hear our roo. She doesn't do it very often and when I first returned, didn't do it at all for several days. Now its off and on. I am trying to assure my husband she is a hen. He is not happy.

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Do you have any pictures?

3. mcgertylee

mcgertylee Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2010
    Waialua, Hawai`i
    I will try and get a picture of her this afternoon and, if I can figure out how to post it, I will. Thank you for your interest!

4. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    That's really the only way to be able to tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by