Help!! My Silkie is really sick. I need advice please!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PAchickenlover, Oct 11, 2011.

1. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Please, my hen is not acting well. Her beak was crusted over with snot and other stuff from the pen. Her eyes are runny and she is acting like she truely doesn't feel good. I am unsure what to do for her right now. I have no money that I can spend on more medications so I will list what I have: Sulmet, VetRx, Tetracycline, and I have a poultry Nutri-Drench, I have a Vitamine/electrolyte solution... That is about it my Pennacillin is expired but I still have it. I have put pictures of her below. I sure hope some one can help me.. I am baffled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Poor thing, she looks miserable! The first thing I would do for her is take a warm wet papertowel and rub her face, maybe use some vet rx while I was at it, just to make her feel a little better, and clean off the goo.
    I can't give you much help after that, but it's a start till someone who knows better can help.

3. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Thanks, I will give that a try.

4. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Any one else have any suggestions for me? I really need some help please.....

5. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I would start with the tetracycline. Keep her warm and dry! Hope she feels better soon!

6. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Thank you! I put some of the Nutri-drench in her water for tonight... I can go add the Tetracycline here in a little bit. I have to get kids to finish homework and bathes and get them to bed first.... It's been a long day............ Uggggggg I have three chickens Isolated right now. I am hopeing that the nutri-drench will help the other two, they aren't near as bad as my Silkie. I really hope that I can get them through this. Oh are their eggs safe to eat if I do get them through this? Thanks to all.... [​IMG]

7. CarolinaChickenKeeper

CarolinaChickenKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    Pauline, SC
    antibiotics for sure.....and lots of liquids

8. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    ok thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by