Help my Silkie Roo is sick!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickie Momma, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Chickie Momma

Chickie Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    Douglasville, Georgia
    I think he has coryza. Sneezing, gurgling, no eye drg(eyes are open and clear), no appetite as of last night only, he is active but no crowing, only shakes his head once in a while, still ornery lol but not biting me. Won't separate from his girl, but she is asymptomatic. She laid her egg and is snuggling with him. They are in a hospital crate with a blowing heater. I can go to tractor supply but what do I need to get him? Should I give him gatorade or sugar water? I really don't want to lose him!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Why do you think he has coryza? There are many respiratory diseases that cause sneezing and gurgling. Coryza usually has a bad smell, and often the eyes are swollen and have drainage, with thick nasal drainage. Infectious bronchitis and CRD (mycoplasmaG) are others that are common. drugs like oxytetracycline, erythromycin, and Tylan will treat these, but if you have the bad odor of coryza, you can instead treat with sulfadimethoxine (Di-Methox or Albon.)

3. Chickie Momma

Mar 12, 2013
    Douglasville, Georgia
    He is coughing up mucous that is blood tinged. It dried around his beak. I cleaned him up with warm water. The spot on his nose is coincidental. I think its a scab from being hen pecked by the muscle hens 2 RIR and an EE. Since treating him with vet rx for colds/ coryza he has tried to crow and is drinking. I will call the vet with his condition in the a.m. will try to feed him some mushy scrambled eggs and have added electrolytes to the water. His girlfriend has no symptoms but I have treated her too. Where would I get the antibiotics without going to the vet?

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think you may be dealing with ILT or infectious layngotracheitis which is a virus that causes many of the usual respiratory symptoms, in addition to bloody mucus from the nose or mouth. Antibiotics will not treat ILT. Chckens will become carriers for life. Here is some info on ILT:
    http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._infectious_laryngotracheitis_in_poultry.html
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/196/laryngotracheitis

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    This is from the University of Florida:
    Infectious Laryngotracheitis

Synonyms: LT, ILT, trach, laryngo
    Species affected: Chickens and pheasants are affected by LT. Chickens 14 weeks and older are more susceptible than young chickens. Most LT outbreaks occur in mature hens. In recent years, LT has also caused significant respiratory problems in broilers greater than 3 weeks of age, especially during the cooler seasons of the year. This is believed to be due to unwanted spread of LT vaccines between poultry flocks.
    Clinical signs: The clinical sign usually first noticed is watery eyes. Affected birds remain quiet because breathing is difficult. Coughing, sneezing, and shaking of the head to dislodge exudate plugs in the windpipe follow. Birds extend their head and neck to facilitate breathing (commonly referred to as "pump handle respiration"). Inhalation produces a wheezing and gurgling sound. Blood-tinged exudates and serum clots are expelled from the trachea of affected birds. Many birds die from asphyxiation due to a blockage of the trachea when the tracheal plug is freed (see Table 1).
    Transmission: LT is spread by the respiratory route. LT is also spread from flock to flock by contaminated clothing, shoes, tires, etc. Birds that recover should be considered carriers for life. LT may be harbored in speciality poultry such as exhibition birds and game fowl.
    Treatment: Incinerate dead birds, administer antibiotics to control secondary infection, and vaccinate the flock. Mass vaccination by spray or drinking water method is not recommended for large commercial or caged flocks. Individual bird administration by the eye-drop route is suggested. Follow manufacturers instructions. In small poultry flocks, use a swab to remove plug from gasping birds, and vaccinate by eye-drop method.
    Prevention: Vaccinate replacement birds for outbreak farms. Vaccination for LT is not as successful as for other disease, but is an excellent preventive measure for use in outbreaks and in epidemic areas. Refer to the publication PS-36 (Vaccination of Small Poultry Flocks) for more information on LT vaccinations.

6. Chickie Momma

Mar 12, 2013
    Douglasville, Georgia
    He is almost 100 percent better!!!! No more wheezing or gurgling or sneezing. And I woke up to CROWING at 720 this morning ! The first time that made me happy to wake up to that :)
    Now he is spoiled though! I fed him liquid eggs and soft scrambled egg last night. I treated him with a liquid called Vet Rx for colds, sniffles and several other respiratory issues. Every 4 hrs I fed and hydrated him a little and this noon he wanted to eat the syringe lol. He was eating from the feed bowl. I continue to give him drops in his nose one time a day and drops in the bedding too. He is a more docile guy now lol he talks to me when I cluck to him and he loves to cuddle wrapped in the towel or blankie I use. His wife gets upset if he is gone too long so I don't take him to bed with me. Besides, the cats would get upset too!!
    Thanks for all the words of encouragement and advice. I truly appreciate everything!

7. Chickie Momma

Mar 12, 2013
    Douglasville, Georgia
    I did catch it very early Eggcessive. His wife never came down with any symptoms. But I do intend to keep them separate from the rest of the birds. Do you still suggest antibiotics for him and vacc for the flock?? If so, how would I go about getting them without having to go to a vet? What antibiotics should I put him on?
    thanks

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If it is ILT, that is a virus, and antibiotics wont cure it. ILT is a carrier disease. I would try to find out for sure what it is by having him tested by your vet.

9. Chickie Momma

Mar 12, 2013
    Douglasville, Georgia
    Ok thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by