help my silkie roo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sucker#1, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Sucker#1

Sucker#1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2011
    Rapid City
    I just received my silkie via postoffice and they said he was crowing up a storm but when I picked him up he never made a sound. He after 3 days still doesn't make a sound. And he just kind of sits there. He wont eat or drink or crow. He kind of makes a growling sound. This is my first grown roo. Do silkies act like this or is he possibly in shock or do you think the po might have hurt him? What do I do?

2. Sucker#1

Sep 3, 2011
    Rapid City
    Has no one experienced this?

3. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Sorry - I haven't experienced this. Giving you a bump and hoping someone with more experience sees this. Also, I wouldn't trust anything the folks at the PO said - sorry, but I've had a lot of stuff mishandled by the PO and have heard a lot of stories as a result. Bottom line for him: he's gone through a shock, so support him the best you can Not at all surprised he's growling - I would, too, if I'd gone through what he did...and I'm not a rooster...
    Good luck -

4. Sucker#1

Sep 3, 2011
    Rapid City
    Thank you for the bump. I cannot believe that no one has had this kind of experience.
    [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm wondering if they shook the box because he was making a racket crowing.

I would let him be in a quiet place in case he is kinda shocked. If you could get some Polyvisol infant vitamins (NO IRON) at Walmart or someplace like that you could give him a couple drops from an eye dropper. I wouldn't force things on him to stress him more but, sometimes if you get your finger wet or into something like yogurt and touch it to the inside of his mouth that may encourage him to eat. How long has he gone without eating/drinking? Putting a little sugar in his water might tempt him to drink some. If he looks like he might eat - you could boil an egg for him and mash it up good .

I've not heard of someone having your experience only because most people get day old chicks shipped or young birds, I hope to comes around for you. I would think he had a bad time at the post office because he stopped the crowing when you got him. He was probably afraid to do it again and was crowing because he is confused and upset.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I just re-read your post, I didn't realize he hasn't eaten in 3 days and no water. I don't think he would be in shock so long without dying. I wonder if he has any injuries from the shipping or treatment at the PO.

Have you been able to gently examine him to see if he has anything obviously wrong - bad leg, etc. etc. Could you spend some quiet time with him? Maybe wrapping a towel around him so he won't struggle and maybe sitting with him on your lap. Or letting him watch tv with you. If you have an easy going hen you could put with him that might be comforting to him. I would think the shipping experience is harder on a grown bird because he was so used to his former home and way of living. Young babies don't have memories.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by