HELP! my silkie rooster does not shut up and everyone in my family is getting annoyed.

Hen_Hole

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2021
Hi, I am a new chicken owner and we had bought 3 silkie chickens from a verified breeder and one of the them died but the other two turned out to be roosters. One is very quiet and crows sometimes but the other never shuts up. We’ve tried everything from completely blackening out the coop to a muting collar but nothing works. All my chickens are free range and always have food and water available, does anyone know what I can do before I give him up to a new home because I’m not allowed to have roosters in my area.

Attachments

• 70960482-6EDB-444A-B471-32CA062E3BD0.jpeg
    70960482-6EDB-444A-B471-32CA062E3BD0.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 52
Some roosters do crow more than others and it's often sounds in the environment that set them off rather than light. You could build a little box to put him in at night that restricts his movements so that he cannot stand up tall enough to crow, but that won't solve him crowing during the day. Unfortunately I think it would be best if you found him a new home where he can crow to his hearts content.

Your second rooster may be quieter because he is not the dominant rooster, so he may begin to crow more once the dominant one is gone, but you'll have to see what happens there. Our little bantam boy only crows in the morning and very occasionally during the day.

Some roosters crow more than others. I'd probably just rehome him. If you're not allowed to have roosters anyways and he's causing an issue with your family I'd find him a home where he can crow his little heart out.

Personally, I'd get rid of both roosters. Sometimes its not worth risking it. Some cities and such have rules like that but once they see people breaking them then they can just change it to a no chickens period rule.

Back
Top Bottom