1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! My SS has passed yolk out of vent.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nicole01, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My 21 week old SS has not laid yet, but has been squatting and singing the egg song for over a week. This morning I saw thick yolk droppings on the floor. It is coming out of my SS. She has been pretty irritable the past two weeks, but I think it's because she needs to lay an egg. The SS is walking, eating, and drinking normal so far. I do give them oyster shell and I see her eat it frequently.

What do I do? Do you think she broke an egg shell inside? Her belly feels normal.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:This isnt good news. The leftovers inside her can cause a bacterial infection and eventually overwhelm her. I'm not saying she is an internal layer since she just started laying, might be a "starting out malfunction" which would probably correct itself. I recommend flushing the inside of her vent using a vinegar/water mixture, like a douche...2 teaspoons of vinegar with one cup of warm water, use a large syringe and repeat for 3 days. It may or may not work. I did it to my Red Star and it worked. Good luck.

3. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:This isnt good news. The leftovers inside her can cause a bacterial infection and eventually overwhelm her. I'm not saying she is an internal layer since she just started laying, might be a "starting out malfunction" which would probably correct itself. I recommend flushing the inside of her vent using a vinegar/water mixture, like a douche...2 teaspoons of vinegar with one cup of warm water, use a large syringe and repeat for 3 days. It may or may not work. I did it to my Red Star and it worked. Good luck.

Thank you!

4. MiddleChild

MiddleChild Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Eastern Massachusetts
    I've read that laying shell-less eggs is not uncommon, and often happens when a young hen is getting the hang of laying. Chances are the white dribbled out later and you missed it. A couple of my Black Stars did this a few times, but it stopped with no intervention.

5. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:I saw the white come out, but it was a thick solid white. I went back out in the run about 20 minutes later and found a light brown egg. I don't know if it was from the Sussex or my Easter egger? My SS has calmed down and quiet.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Fingers crossed!

7. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:Thank you.

So far so good. She is acting totally normal so far. Tail up, eating, drinking, and mingling with her flock mates.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by