HELP! My sweet Daisy Mae has a bloody vent! What do I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickengrl87, Mar 4, 2013.

1. chickengrl87

chickengrl87 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Enumclaw, WA
    I have a 3 year old White Plymouth Rock hen. I noticed this evening her vent was all bloody and she was sitting on the floor of the coop and not roosting with the other girls. I soaked her in epson salt and water and washed away all the blood on the outside. I spray vetericyn in her vent. I don't know what else do you! Her vent is not bulging out or anything. It's just bloody. She is my favorite hen and I would be so sad if she dies. Please help.

2. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    Has she also lost feathers around her vent. If so the other hens might be pecking her while she is roosting. I would keep her separated and check to see if she starts bleeding again. Has she been laying or did she pass an extra large egg. You don't say how much blood. I think you have done well so far...now you just need to watch her and see if it continues. But keep her separated for a while. I would keep her in sight of the rest of the flock if possible so she won't have a hard time reintegrating. Also where was she in the pecking order?

1 person likes this.
  3. chickengrl87

Jan 26, 2013
    Enumclaw, WA
    The blood was oozing. There wasn't a whole lot but still enough to be worried if that makes sense. She lays rather large brown eggs but I didn't see any of her eggs in the nesting boxes. She does like to lay in my dog's house tho. I didn't check there. I will when I get home. She is the queen bee in my flock. I call her my matriarch hen. I had read online about vent gleet. It sounds to me like that is a yeast infection but she does not have any other symptoms of gleet other than the bleeding. Is it possible that an egg could have broke and cut her vent? I have been around chickens my whole life growing up but have never come across a bloody vent.

4. chickengrl87

Jan 26, 2013
    Enumclaw, WA
    OH I should mention this morning there didn't appear to be any new blood but she was standing on the ground of the coop. I tried to get her to come with me with some food. She is always the first one to come running when I call for them. She just ignored me :( I did get her to eat a little yogurt and wheat germ. I had read the active cultures in the yogurt help with bacteria in their bodies. I also put apple cider vinegar in her water. I had read that helps too with bacteria and infections. Any other suggestions?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  5. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    How did Daisy Mae's problem with her bloody vent work out? I recently had a bloody vent issue with my special needs hen. I cured her with Neosporin and then KY jelly she is now laying her eggs without any blood on them.

6. chickengrl87

Jan 26, 2013
    Enumclaw, WA
    I soaked her in Epsom salt and warm water for about 20 mins and then sprayed Vetericyn in her vent. The bleeding stopped and she lays eggs here and there. Not like she use to but she is alive! Hehe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by