HELP!!! My sweet fluffy baby chicks are CANNIBALS!!???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chikadeedoodah, Apr 24, 2009.

1. chikadeedoodah

chikadeedoodah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Ack, I have 27 beautiful pullets of all different breeds, they are one week old and Hannibal has nothing on these fierce little things. One of the babies has a bloody bummers from getting pecked! For now I have taken this little lady and moved her in the house in a large bin with food and water. We put Neosporin on her injuries, and she seems downright angry that we didn't leave her with her family. I even tried to put one of the more docile chicks in with her to keep her company, but even that chick made a beeline to her bummers like it was some kind of all you can eat buffet! What can I do? Is this little chick hopeless? Similar experiences that maybe ended positively out there? Help! I don't have an extra heat lamp or waterer, so I'm making do by putting her in a large tupperware bin in the house with a towel over it, and put an upside down tupperware lid in there for her water (which she ended up standing in). Hmmmm, feed stores are closed for the supplies until tomorrow. Any advice? [​IMG]

2. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Try painting any blood showing blue or some other non-interesting color.

Yes, chickens are all always like this. It helps if they have more space, enough food, enough warmth, etc. etc. If they see blood they'll attack, so disguising it is the only way she can be with her friends/foes [​IMG]

3. DixieDame67

DixieDame67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2008
    Jonesbourgh Tennessee
    Chickadee , I am having the same problem yet with only one little Polish chic the other Polish nobody bothers, but the smaller one, they have all but peeked her little head bald, so i went to Tractor Supply and bought some blue kote, in spray bottle, it's antiseptic spray also CAUTION::: wear gloves, its finally wearing off my fingers after about a week lol.....but last couple days they have started peeking her again *sigh* so im curious as to what the next step is i can do, her little poof of white fur is all but gone , poor little thing ....when i seperate her shes heartbroken crys constantly....i have 17 chics in a baby play pen lol i put plastic chicken net over top it works great...I'll keep an eye on this post to see if anyone else chimes in with a better solution for us both, Good Luck

Dixie

4. chikadeedoodah

Apr 23, 2009
    Thanks for your help, I'm going to keep her in tonight, she's sleeping now. Poor little thing just needs to heal, but she hates being away from her family. Breakin' my heart. [​IMG]
    I just hope she makes it.

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Are you guys using RED heating lamps?

I only used red lamps and provided lots of space and never had any picking.

Good luck

6. chikadeedoodah

Apr 23, 2009
    We have white lamps and plenty of room for the little gals, but this one looks like she had a sore and they just went crazy for it. She's even pecking herself now that she's inside alone. Not sure what to do at this point. Right now we are just keeping her as comfortable as we can and hoping she's going to heal enough to re-integrate her in a week or so (if she makes it). [​IMG]

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They are attracted to the bloody flesh. Keep all injured chicks and chickens separate until they heal or they will eat them one bite at a time until they kill them.

Chickens are meat eaters. They don't care where it comes from.

Treat the injuries and when healed return it to the flock.

You may want to check and make sure your crumbles are at least 20% protein for your chicks.

8. okieroy

okieroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Bethany, Ok
    They don't call them fuzzy little dinosaurs for nothing.

9. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    They are definately vicious when it comes to blood. I had about 12 babies in a brooder. I didn't realize I cut my finger while putting their food bowl in and WOW!! They charged me full force and attacked my tiny cut like they haven't eaten in 2 weeks! From that point, I make sure there are no little cuts on my hands!!

10. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I would first put a red lamp in. It makes a difference...

Also, I would put some things in there to occupy them with.

You might want to expand the brooder still, if the problem doesn't subside.

DEFINITELY separate the injured ones, and make sure they get some rest.

Good luck!

~wings

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by