HELP! My sweet little Buff, who is almost a year was attacked by a dog.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lifesabeauty, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Lifesabeauty

Lifesabeauty New Egg

Feb 20, 2013
    I am hoping someone has some advice on what to do. Nearly all her feathers on middle back were pulled out and the tissue is showing. It looks very bad to me, but she is walking around with her two sisters. She is also eating. The attack happened yesterday around 5pm. I found her this morning. I hate that she's in pain. Is there anything I can do myself to help her. I can not afford an expensive vet bill. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Tissue like muscle or tissue like skin?

3. Lifesabeauty

Lifesabeauty New Egg

Feb 20, 2013
    It's hard to say, I guess I've been scared to look REALLY close, I would say very close to the muscle though.

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Treatment will depend on how bad/deep the wound is. You will need to look at it.

If there are just feathers missing and you see skin (it will look like chicken skin does on grocery store meat) she will be fine.

If there is a minor scratch, you will want to clean it and put something on it to prevent your other chickens from pecking at it. You can get blu-kote at the feed store.

Muscle tissue lies just bellow the skin. If there is an open wound or gash then the area needs to be cleaned at least. The extent of damage will have differing treatments.

5. cntrywmnkw

cntrywmnkw Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2012
    Utopia SC
    Make a weak solution of Epsom Salts & warm water & flush the injured areas 2-3 time a day, she should be separated from the rest of the flock until she heals or else they will pick on her. I had my 4 month old SLW attacked by a pack of dogs, so I know what you're going through, see my post "Silver Laced Wyandotte attacked by pack of dogs". She had 2 gashes on her back from where the dog grabbed her & she could barely use her right leg, but she's great now, no issues. I did have to keep her in the house for several weeks. I did take mine girl to the vet to have her leg looked at & said he guessed it was the nerve was inflamed & she would be ok after swelling went down, he was right. Vet gave her a shot of antibiotic just to make sure she had no infection because of the puncture wounds from dog. Bill from vet was only $30.00. If you do go to a vet, make sure they treat farm animals, especially chickens.

Any idea whose dog attacked your girl?

6. Lifesabeauty

Lifesabeauty New Egg

Feb 20, 2013
    I just went out and looked closer as best I could. Sadly, it doesn't look like skin, but muscle. It's blood red and there are absolutely no feathers left along her upper back. It looks like the skin was ripped off with the feathers. I'm so sad because I don't want her in pain. Oddly, she seems ok, is walking around and eating. I just put her in the coop, there is a nice warm roosting area where they sleep, so this is warm for her.

Thank you for your help,
    Pam

7. cntrywmnkw

cntrywmnkw Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2012
    Utopia SC
    Trust me, the other girls will sense that she's hurt & start picking on her, you need to separate her from the flock until she heals, otherwise the other girls WILL pick on her & make her wound worse, or even worse they could kill her.

8. Lifesabeauty

Lifesabeauty New Egg

Feb 20, 2013
    Thank you, I will keep it clean with the Epsom salts, this is what one vet said, to keep it clean, although she just said with warm water. I called four vets in my area but no one yet who cares for birds, chickens. I even called The Raptor Center and they were only able to refer me to one vet. Her two sisters seem to be curious about her condition and have not been bothering her.
    She got into the adjacent yard where my neighbors Weimeriner (sp?) attacked her. They are nice dogs, just instinctual.

Thank you so much,
    Pam

9. tmfineg

tmfineg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Gallatin TN
    I had a hen who had all the skin ripped off the back of her neck. It took a little while but she healed and amazingly the skin grew back. I recommend swabbing with betadine solution once to kill bacteria, then slather triple antibiotic ointment without pain reliever about once per day. I am not sure what to give her for the pain. You do need to to separate her right away. Keep her in a cage in the house if possible. Give her lots of treats with plenty of protein. Good luck and keep us posted.

10. ash1

ash1 New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    I had a turkey hen badly attacked by dogs, hideous muscle/tissue wounds that I thought I would have to euthanise for, but took a chance and they healed beautifully. I got some antiseptic/anesthetic spray from the pharmacy - it both protects the wounds from infection and numbs the pain. I separated the hen from the rest of the flock, and sprayed the wounds four times a day. I also put bird antibiotics in her drinking water. Her wounds healed so well that I released her back into the flock just four days later and she's been as good as gold since. As long as the shock doesn't get them, birds seem to have a remarkable healing ability.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by