HELP my sweet roo's time has come

I_luv_chiks

Chirping
Mar 16, 2019
Indiana
Back story...I have a beautiful I believe EE. He is right at 1 year old. With a sweet name of Cookie dough named by my little boy who loves his rooster so he will be heartbroken soon as am I. A little backstory. This winter we had extremely cold temps I did everything I could to keep my roo and girls warm well I'm not sure exactly how but a couple weeks after it was so cold i noticed him walking more so on one leg and kind of limping on the other foot so I took him inside inspected his foot and noticed something that at the time due to googling it I thought was bumblefoot so I cleaned it and medicated and kept him in a crate. After about a week he seemed better and was going crazy wanting to be with his ladies so my husband let him back with them on the coop he instantly seemed to perk up. Well then one day I went out to take some treats and I noticed his leg looked drawn up and that he couldn't walk on it and was turning black. After research I thought frostbite do i took him to get and it was confirmed and that sadly he was gonna lose his whole foot. (Plz don't judge I have had many tears over this) so I have watched him closely I thought I will be there for him and help him if need be and keep him comfy. Although it was difficult to watch him he started getting around on one leg. I thought ok we can manage this he was moving around drinking plenty eating great and loving his treats. Although i had to be careful and sneak his treats because the ladies would almost knock him over. He was doing great getting up the ladder into the coop .Then a couple weeks ago I was checking on him and noticed he was sitting alot so as normal I took him some veggies for a treat. And when he did his feet are already black but I noticed they looked darker and seen just a little redness so I immediately started cleaning and medicating but not I think the tips of his toes have frostbite I think missed it on that foot because I was so worried about the other one. I had noticed his leg li looked a little bigger but I honestly just thought it was gaining muscle from only walking on that leg. I have been at lost. I've done everything i could but frostbite is a serious monster. I am so heart broken. I've tried to avoid the inevitable but sadly I have noticed its getting harder and harder for him to get around. He was staying in his coop more and more. And i hated even going to the coop because He still loves his food so he would want too come out and his wings are getting caught like tonight at midnight I went to check on him and the poor baby was laying outside of the coop on the ground. Normally as soon as he hears me and comes over but he didn't move I was terrified thankfully he was ok but...I think its time to make the decision . It breaks my heart tears are flowing but I refuse to let him suffer . My chicks are my babies when they are sick death is the last option I will do what I have to to save them. My question is there anything I can give him to let him go peacefully. (Tears are flowing again). My husband said he would take Care of it but I can't even think abou him doing it. . And I can't imagine the normal days. My baby is special and he deserves to go peacefully. Plz no judgment I very struggled enough. Just need help.

Back story...I have a beautiful I believe EE. He is right at 1 year old. With a sweet name of Cookie dough named by my little boy who loves his rooster so he will be heartbroken soon as am I. A little backstory. This winter we had extremely cold temps I did everything I could to keep my roo and girls warm well I'm not sure exactly how but a couple weeks after it was so cold i noticed him walking more so on one leg and kind of limping on the other foot so I took him inside inspected his foot and noticed something that at the time due to googling it I thought was bumblefoot so I cleaned it and medicated and kept him in a crate. After about a week he seemed better and was going crazy wanting to be with his ladies so my husband let him back with them on the coop he instantly seemed to perk up. Well then one day I went out to take some treats and I noticed his leg looked drawn up and that he couldn't walk on it and was turning black. After research I thought frostbite do i took him to get and it was confirmed and that sadly he was gonna lose his whole foot. (Plz don't judge I have had many tears over this) so I have watched him closely I thought I will be there for him and help him if need be and keep him comfy. Although it was difficult to watch him he started getting around on one leg. I thought ok we can manage this he was moving around drinking plenty eating great and loving his treats. Although i had to be careful and sneak his treats because the ladies would almost knock him over. He was doing great getting up the ladder into the coop .Then a couple weeks ago I was checking on him and noticed he was sitting alot so as normal I took him some veggies for a treat. And when he did his feet are already black but I noticed they looked darker and seen just a little redness so I immediately started cleaning and medicating but not I think the tips of his toes have frostbite I think missed it on that foot because I was so worried about the other one. I had noticed his leg li looked a little bigger but I honestly just thought it was gaining muscle from only walking on that leg. I have been at lost. I've done everything i could but frostbite is a serious monster. I am so heart broken. I've tried to avoid the inevitable but sadly I have noticed its getting harder and harder for him to get around. He was staying in his coop more and more. And i hated even going to the coop because He still loves his food so he would want too come out and his wings are getting caught like tonight at midnight I went to check on him and the poor baby was laying outside of the coop on the ground. Normally as soon as he hears me and comes over but he didn't move I was terrified thankfully he was ok but...I think its time to make the decision . It breaks my heart tears are flowing but I refuse to let him suffer . My chicks are my babies when they are sick death is the last option I will do what I have to to save them. My question is there anything I can give him to let him go peacefully. (Tears are flowing again). My husband said he would take Care of it but I can't even think abou him doing it. . And I can't imagine the normal days. My baby is special and he deserves to go peacefully. Plz no judgment I very struggled enough. Just need help.
My beautiful boy COOKIE DOUGH

Attachments

• 20190323_031550.jpg
    20190323_031550.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
Listen, you don't need to kill your chicken and you obviously don't want to either ....

Some time ago I read a story about some chickens just abandoned in the snow in subzero temps. with no food, for two days. There was one survivor, one hen who lost first one leg, then the other. I'm sorry I didn't keep a bookmark, but it was well documented with pictures of the hen being found in the snow, her legs turning black etc. The last picture was of the hen looking quite happy, starring at a country fair in a 'raising awareness' role.

He's still eating and drinking?

Cullers, don't come out of the woodwork !!!

There's a little human boy in this story too, who loves his chicken and the roo is only one year old. The roo already endured pain for weeks, he's almost done with the pain and he's looking forward to his wheelchair and being loved and spoiled by the whole family.

Perhaps a wheelchair, but if you believe that your Roo's time has come, and if you can afford it, you can have an avian vet put him down. If you decide to go this route, please ask that the vet give him a bit of anesthesia first. A chicken is euthanized with a needle to the heart. Not so great. But, with anesthesia, he'll just drift off to sleep first.

I feel your pain and wish you the best.

I'm sorry to hear about Cookie:hugs

He is your rooster and you have evaluated him to determine that he is suffering and his time has come.
I respect your decision.
If a vet is an option, they can put him down for you. If not, then let your husband take care it since he has offered.
I know of nothing that you can give him, sometimes there is no easy out and you just have to get to the task at hand. I don't think any of us enjoy putting a much loved chicken down, but it's our responsibility to do what is right by them no matter how much it hurts the heart.

If you have photos you would like to share of the damage to his legs, others may be able to make suggestions for treating him. If the damage is severe like you mention, you would likely need to cage him in a place that is warm and tend to him several times a day. Sometimes that is not an option either. It takes a lot of time to rehabilitate an injured animal IF he can even be rehabilitated at all. Family, work and personal commitments all need to be considered before you take on long term full time care of a sick animal.

Listen, you don't need to kill your chicken and you obviously don't want to either ....

Some time ago I read a story about some chickens just abandoned in the snow in subzero temps. with no food, for two days. There was one survivor, one hen who lost first one leg, then the other. I'm sorry I didn't keep a bookmark, but it was well documented with pictures of the hen being found in the snow, her legs turning black etc. The last picture was of the hen looking quite happy, starring at a country fair in a 'raising awareness' role.

He's still eating and drinking?
Thank you, I have researched frostbite on here and other plus with a vet. But I will search and see if I can find that story. Yes he is still eating great and comes out for water loves his treats. Which is why I have been so conflicted....

I've been reading between the lines here and empathizing with what you are going through along with the little man in your life who loves Cookie Dough dearly.

Is there any chance that you could consult a vet and have the affected foot/leg amputated? I've read many posts about one legged chickens who get along quite well with only one wheel so to speak. Plus you have to understand that animals deal with such things a lot differently than humans. One leg? Cool, that's normal for me! And they go about their lives without ever missing the limb. I've seen it happen with dogs and cats that have lost a leg or even two.

It might be worth a try and give your child more time with a beloved pet.

Bless you and please don't kick yourself. Keeping Chickens is a learning experience and we all make mistakes at one time or another. Trust me, we all understand what you are feeling right now. No matter what decision you make, it will be the right one for you and your family.

Last edited:
Cullers, don't come out of the woodwork !!!

There's a little human boy in this story too, who loves his chicken and the roo is only one year old. The roo already endured pain for weeks, he's almost done with the pain and he's looking forward to his wheelchair and being loved and spoiled by the whole family.
I will research a wheelchair. Like you said if he has been in pain which we tried to minimize with I would pray he is almost past the bad but I feel so terrible for him. And you are so right my little boy loves his rooster I'm a softy for him which is why I when I ended up with 3 roosters out of 5 I couldn't break his heart by getting rid of him so we keeping him and another. He knows something isn't right but I don't think he realizes the severity of it.

Back
Top Bottom