1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help, my Tom is dying I think

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by acw13, Mar 3, 2016.

1. acw13

acw13 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2015
    He was perfectly fine yesterday, healthy considering his breed. This morning I let him out of the coop and didn't really pay any attention to him. I noticed him from afar with his head down. This afternoon I went to check on him and his chest looks sunken in and his neck looks crooked. He's not even a year old yet, I'm afraid somebody may have come to the house and hit him with their vehicle. He still walks around but very very little. He stopped after only a few steps and puts his head down, and sometimes lays down to rest. What do you think? What should I do? I've had him since he was just a little baby and he is my pet and companion[​IMG], the best bird I have ever owned

2. acw13

acw13 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2015
    [​IMG]

3. acw13

acw13 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2015
    He looks terrible because he is going through a moult but this is a fairly recent picture and he was doing great[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Is he eating and drinking? When was the last time you wormed him?

5. acw13

acw13 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2015
    I haven't wormed him, but woukd that really cause his chest to be sunken in? He was a fat as can be just yesterday morning

6. enola

His chest is sunken in because he is not eating. Is he still drinking? What does his poop look like? Do you also have chickens?

7. acw13

acw13 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2015
    He's always had a pretty great appetite, but I've been away all day so I don't know if he has eaten today. I will try to feed him and see if he'll eat. I have multiple freshwater sources available but again, I have not witnessed him drinking today. We do have chickens, peacocks, guineas, and 3 other turkeys all in good health

8. enola

Can you go check his crop tonight?

Have you ever had Black head on your property?

9. acw13

acw13 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2015
    Fed him and he ate like he usually does. This is the first year to have a turkey so I don't know. What do I look for?

10. enola

How is he this morning? If you have never worked your flock, you need to at least worm him. Valbazen would be your best bet.

If he does have Black Head you need to start treatment media tell. It is deadly......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by