lousybird

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2021
I have a black astralorp that started laying about a month ago. Her size compared to her friends is a bit smaller. About 2 months ago, she started making coughing or sneezing noises (sounds like a loud 'bok'). Recently, she started swinging her head from side to side and makes weird movements with her head. She started vomiting very little (once a week) about 1 month ago so I didn't pay much attention but today, she vomited a few times. I suspected she had a sour crop since I heard some grumbling sounds coming from her body so I started massaging her crop but sometimes when I do that, she vomits clear slimy liquid. Her poop is normal and there is no lethargy or weight loss. She's also laying normally about 6 eggs a week. This is my first time raising chickens from chicks so I don't have much experience. Any advice or things I can do to help her out?

This article I wrote has information that may help you. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

It does sound like this pullet has a crop issue. The article will help you figure out which crop disorder she has and how you can best treat it.

If she has any crop disorder except impacted crop, massage will cause vomiting or regurgitation, so try to avoid it.
Okay, thanks for the advice and article! I still don't know if she has a sour crop or impacted crop so I'll go remove her food and see how her crop is tomorrow.

This article I wrote has information that may help you. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

It does sound like this pullet has a crop issue. The article will help you figure out which crop disorder she has and how you can best treat it.

If she has any crop disorder except impacted crop, massage will cause vomiting or regurgitation, so try to avoid it.
This morning, I went to check her crop and I felt a hard (but also kind of squishy) crop that was about the size of a golf ball. Her crop this morning was smaller than last night's so I think her crop emptied around half of the food. She's still running around and eating. I also put my nose towards her beak and didn't smell anything. I'm not sure if it is impacted or sour crop.

Back
Top Bottom