Help Mysterious Hen death, broken eggs, and yellow goo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RentaPig311, Oct 19, 2013.

1. RentaPig311

RentaPig311 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2013
    Denton Texas
    I saw my 7 month old RIR this morning and she appeared fine. She laid an egg for us yesterday but we found it smashed. We didn't think anything of it. I cleaned up the meas and put in new bedding. This afternoon I found her dead and cold inside the coop. No trauma or signs of predators and the other 4 birds are doing fine. When I opened the coop to remove the body I found a pile of yellowish goop. Can anyone tell me why this bird died so suddenly and if my flock is safe. Also we have about 6 eggs from her in the fridge, should we toss them?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    wonder if an egg broke inside her? thats what it looks like to me. did you see her straining or sitting on nest alot? if that is the case the eggs are safe to eat but you would have to know for sure. if she is not buried yet or wherever chickens go mabey you could take a look if any shell is stuck to her

3. RentaPig311

Apr 24, 2013
    Denton Texas
    That's the best I could figure as well. I'm stumped here. I saw her this morning acting sluggish and a bit off but she was never in the nest box and didn' t give any warning signs. She was laid to rest in a garbage bag already but I examined her as best I could in her stiff state and didn't see anything. If anyone knows a free or cheap post moetom in North Texas I would take her.

4. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    some people on here do that and they could probably tell you better but i wouldnt do it myself. hope it was just a one time thing.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That poop looks like the liver was involved, possibly blackhead (histomoniasis).

-Kathy

6. Chicken Papa

Chicken Papa Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2013
    Newtown, IN
    I found a soft, broken egg when I went to collect them this morning. Chickens all seem fine, why would the shell be soft? It was like thin leather.

7. RentaPig311

Apr 24, 2013
    Denton Texas

Thanks Kathy I did some digging around on the net and looked at some photos. Most of the black head poo photos were a lot...bloodier and less yellow. However, I think a broken egg wouldn't be quite as bright yellow and I didn't see any shell bits. Still I don't think it would hurt to worm and treat them anyway. I'd rather be safe than loose my entire flock.

Does anyone have wormer/ treatment recommendations? The wormer at my feed store said for round worms and didn't say anything about the cecal worm. I didn't see any preventative treatments or dietridazole there either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by