Help! Mystery death in my flock!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by adcockfarm, Dec 15, 2014.

1. adcockfarm

adcockfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2014
    Southern California
    This morning we let the girls out (we have 6 hens) as we always do to run around and after an hour or two we noticed we had not seen our buff Orp (8 months old only) in a while so the kids went looking around for her and came back screaming that they thought she was dead---which upon inspection was true! She was laying on her side--looked sort of asleep but not moving at all...I inspected her and she was indead dead and no marks on her whatsoever. No blood, had not been sick that we know of, eating well, live in southern CA --perfect weather....I am at a loss!!!!! Help!!! Any ideas what could have happened....so scared it will happen again---want to find reasons!!!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A random death is fairly common, even for birds of that age. It is said that if dogs died as often as chickens that not many people would own dogs.

With no symptoms other than rapid death, only lab work with a necropsy would be definitive and otherwise people would be just guessing.
    If another dies quickly, a necropsy is definitely in order.
    I believe they're free in CA.

Some possibilities are poisoning, lymphoid leucosis, colibacillosis, campylobacteriosis, botulism, gout, Marek's, round heart disease.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  3. adcockfarm

Aug 18, 2014
    Southern California
    This is r first time raising chickens. They all appeared in perfect health. I'm not familiar with necropsy?? Can u please infirm and advise how/what/where?? Thank u so much!!!

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Necropsy is just lab work to see what killed them.

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/cahfs/lab_tests/index.cfm

http://plantingseedsblog.cdfa.ca.gov/wordpress/?p=5340
    I was right, it's free for a chicken inCA.

Contact them to find how they want it prepared and delivered.
    The sooner they get the bird the more conclusive the results.

The bird needs to be wetted down and soaped then refrigerated.

Here's some general info.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/799747/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures

5. adcockfarm

Aug 18, 2014
    Southern California
    wow....not sure I am up for all that
    But I will see.....Thank you seriously so much for taking the time to help us out and inform us!!! I truly appreciate it!!! My children are devastated!!!!

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You don't have to go through all that if you carry it to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by