!!!help!!!! Naked neck chick pecking feet and limping, bumblefoot?

We were trying to let nature take its course but we had to cut off her toes today
Oh gosh, you are so brave! :bow

I wonder if other animals are suffering at that place and animal control needs to go take a peek?! :smack

Also, no I don't believe she will grow more feathers. However her body has been under such stress as noted by the quality of feathers that are there... that once she really start feeling better and finishes up with all this healing they might fill in a bit more like the ones on her head. And definitely by the time she molts you will see a whole new chicken! I can't remember how old she is, but juveniles do have little mini molts as the adult colors come in. Human bodies that are under extreme stress often lose hair and it return once they recover. I though damaged feathers wouldn't regrow until molt unless they were pulled completely. But my Silkie who got a crest trim is growing it back in rapidly.

What a heart breaking journey. You and her are both troopers! :highfive:

I wonder, did you share her name with us already?

Make sure she doesn't drink the epsom salt water as it is a laxative.

Thanks tons for the update, hang in there. She seems like she is a fighter and with you in her corner, I am confident that she will have a nice recovery. :fl

Sorry Casastash I frequently and unfortunately read too fast and don’t realize what’s going on. I’m dippy that way. Lol. Ahhh shoot.

Gee she did hook herself with her foot there while itch or something. How odd. They usually are vigorous itchers and not the worse for the wear. But I suppose she had something sharp there. I do wonder if softening with the epsom soaks and feeling for potential sharps and trim is the answer. Any thing black is going to be sloughing off any ways.

I believe she was itching but her skin is honestly see through!!!!

We took off the toes and have her in vet wrap! She is on chick starter and has actually gained weight! Her keel was protruding when we got her and now she has some meat there.

Honestly it’s been rough going on all of us. I don’t think she knows how to “chicken” and will probably be a house chicken forever. Right now she lives next door to our rabbit and she doesn’t seem lonely.

I was wishing she would be further along but we are in it for the long haul

We took off the toes and have her in vet wrap! She is on chick starter and has actually gained weight! Her keel was protruding when we got her and now she has some meat there.

Honestly it’s been rough going on all of us. I don’t think she knows how to “chicken” and will probably be a house chicken forever. Right now she lives next door to our rabbit and she doesn’t seem lonely.

:hugs you are doing great!!! and it sounds like she is a fighter!

How's your girl coming along? :fl

Hope she feels all new to match the new year and her new caring, loving, and devoted family! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom