HELP! nasty 2 1/2 inch gash can see inside body cavity!

terri1nd

Chirping
11 Years
May 4, 2008
I have a chick that has a 2 1/2 inch gash at it's backside & this sounds gross but I can see it's intestine through a hole that has been pecked on near it's tail. I saw another chick pecking it.
I'm not sure exactly how it happened. Chickens can sure be vicious to one another. I'm not sure how to clean it up, I've seen tiny pieces of the bedding material in the wound. Can I use peroxide & qtip to try to get the bedding material cleaned out? If it needs stitches, what should be used for thread? I have blukote & triple antibiotic cream as well as super glue, but not sure what to do.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39661113@N00/
photostream

Last edited:
You need to flush it out. Saline is best, or warm water (with some betadine if available) will work. Apply antibiotic ointment to the wound. Do NOT suture it; it is too contaminated to suture and the infection will fester under the skin and sutures. You will be amazed how fast she can heal, but you will have to keep her separated and clean. If she pecks at her own wound, fix up a cover/bandage so she can't get at it. Good luck!

Poor thing - That wound looks pretty bad. Yes they can be very vicious. I would use plain Saline Solution to flush to clean it. Peroxide is too strong and Blue Kote should not be used in that deep of a wound. I use Vetericyn on deep wounds to treat and it's worked great. It is available at Tractor Supply Co. I think Triple antibiotic cream w/ pain killer could be used on just the outside edge of wound but not deep. Do not try stitching this up yourself.
You might want to offer the bird some plain yogurt and keep it warm and as comfortable as possible.
Good Luck and I hope it makes it.
fl.gif

thank you for your replies. I tried flushing the area with warm water, our well water has a high sodium content, so I did not add any additional salt. I tipped it backward to try to drain any excess water & it's insides (did not look like intestine). Anyway, I gently inserted whatever it was back inside the body cavity. I put loads of triple antibiotic cream on the wound & put it in a cage in the house. I guess that is all I can do for now. Thank you for giving me an idea how to proceed.

are you sure it was another chicken?? it looks like a dog took a chunk out of that poor bird!

you should know in case you were worrying, that chickens have gotten up from a lot worse. the real killer is when something gets at thier respritory systems. very importent to chickens. clean that well and wrap it up good luck!!!

This chick did not make it through the night. I checked out more of the cornish cross chicks & there were a few more with the beginnings of pecked bottoms. I sprayed them with blue kote and trying to keep a better eye on them but that is hard at times. We have had a serious problem with chickens this year pecking each other.
I really do appreciate the assistance in trying to help that poor chick.

Back
Top Bottom