Help...neck totally limp can't stand, eyes lively ,can't pull feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FallingSkies, Aug 31, 2014.

1. FallingSkies

FallingSkies Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2014
    Last night i went to feed and found my 3 1/2 month old Dominique standing with neck hanging. I picked her up and it was totally limp she couldn't hold her neck up. I got her to drink. But before i picked her up i have a little bantam roo who is a brat and went after her neck. Wondering if he could have done this before and hurt her. The bottom of neck looked swollen but just puffed feathers next to shoulders. None anywhere else.
    I put her in a crate by herself. Today she can't stand just kind of crawls still eyes active. Thought it might be broken or injured neck. It is not crooked as in wry neck just completely limp. Gave vitamins and electrolites. Held her neck she drank by herself and held her neck so she could swallow . Then the crawled away from dish. Everything i have read in here seems to be wry neck. Cant see where it would botulism. But dont know what it is

2. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Poor girl. Injury is a real possibility. Do you have her isolated, in a warm (not hot of course) place? Given her handicap at the moment, I would definitely recommend getting her isolated from the other chickens right away if you have not.
    Once you do, please check her over carefully and note any other symptoms you can find. How are her droppings? Is her vent clean and clear of discharge? Eyes, nose, and mouth also clear of any discharge? Breathing sound normal?
    Have you had any other problems or ailments in any of your other birds?

3. FallingSkies

FallingSkies Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2014
    She is in her own crate seperate room full of shavings so she/he is comfortable. Still think it's a roo but with him being by himself can't tell lightness of color. His eyes are still active trying to stand when I give him his vitamin electrolites water. Did eat some crumbles this morning. Still can't hold up head. Neck still has no support. So resting as comfortable as he can. It is going to be hot and humid here today so has plenty of air.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by