Help! Necrotic skin mass?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tessaturtle, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Tessaturtle

Tessaturtle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I had posted a couple of weeks ago about losing 2 Buff Cochins to prolapsed vent (and subsequent picking by the flock) and then we segregated 2 more buff cochins when we noticed a very large, bare swollen area under the vent of one and the starting of a large bare spot under the vent of the other (both were being pecked at the time we noticed, hence the separation). They have been in the dog crate, inside for about 2 weeks now. They both act very healthy, one or both are laying eggs. We washed their bums, and then treated the one who looked similar to the others with prolapsed vent with preparation H. The other one, with just the bare spot, no swelling, could go back out to the flock, but I am wary of them pecking at her bare spot (blue kote didn't work at all the last time). The one with the swelling has become worse even though we also put bacitracin on it. Again, she still acts healthy, however, the huge, bare, swollen spot now looks DEAD! Its still huge and swollen, but now some of the skin on the swollen part is purplish, almost black in color! Of course the smell coming from them is horrible too.

Has anyone ever heard of this or seen this?
    [​IMG]

Wondering if we should just put them both back with the flock and hope for the best, or put the one back and cull the other one? Also still am wondering why this only seems to be happening to our Buff COchins in the flock?...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  2. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    I cannot say for certain what this could be but I would say it might be worth it to try warm baths on the worst one. It looks as if everything has dried up when it should have stayed moist. I'm guessing here, but if it were me I would try the warm bath. Let her soak for as long as you can, changing the water out as needed to keep it warm. Dry her up good and then go right for the vitamin E. I use the 400iu capsules and just break them open with a pin then squirt the oil out onto my gloved fingers and apply. Preparation H has the vit. E in it but I'm not sure of the amount you'd be getting. Vitamin E will also help if there's an infection brewing. It almost sounds as if she may have some kind of yeasty thing going on as well. I say this because I just found Gleet in a couple of my own and what yours has kinda looks similar except hardened.

I have no clue if this is the answer but seems a fair try before culling is done. I would also keep them/her seperate still if you can. Something to add to your kit for your birds is bitter orange spray. They sell it in most pet stores under various names but one of the main ingredients is bitter orange. Most birds hate the stuff and will leave the ones with this one them alone. I've used this with the Blu-Kote and have been able to stop the picking completely. Blu-Kote first, then the spray after.

3. Tessaturtle

Apr 24, 2012
    New Hampshire
    THank you so much for your reply! They both want out of that crate so badly and I have been researching endlessly to try to find out how to make it better. The Vitamin E you mentioned, is that just the regular kind I can pick up at Target or something or is there a special kind for animals?

4. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    I get mine at WalMart. If you get the capsules instead of the oil there will be less chance of contamination. Just take out the one and the rest stay good. You could also add some KY to help keep everything moist. I put a bit of the KY down on my fingers first and then the vitamin E on top. I think it helps get the vitamin E where you want it better than just using the E oil alone. Sticky stuff! Another thing you might try is giving her some ACV in her water. 1 tbls. to 1 gallon. This will help on the inside of her. If I'm right, and I'm not saying I am, there might be an issue with a yeast infection here as well. The ACV will help with that but you may have to get a different topical or internal drug to heal it up. You might try some Monistat cream. You could alternate between the E and the Monistat. Try the soaks or kitchen sink if you have a sprayer and get her bottom moist and cleaned up if you can. I forgot to ask, is she able to poop?

5. Tessaturtle

Apr 24, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I believe she is able to poop and lay eggs. I bought some plain yogurt and they love it! I am trying the various ideas and see if it clears up. SHe and her companion want out of the crate so badly!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by