HELP! Need 2017 Peafowl hatching eggs.

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by sseabass, Nov 22, 2016.

1. sseabass

sseabass Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2016
    Fishtail, Montana
    Hello Peafowl Farmers.
    I hatched my first peachicks last year and it was a wonderful adventure of learning, anxiety, joy and then loss. Between feral cats and bad luck I ended up losing all surviving chicks.
    I found BYC late in the incubating process and was exstatic. Help was available :weee
    I live in Montana and don't know of anyone here who raises Peafowl. So, I am back to trying to find breeders who will ship eggs. I bought my eggs last year on EBay. I feel that I bought from more decent sellers than not. My biggest problem was the steep learning curve of raising the babies.
    Since finding BYC I decided here would be the place to buy eggs. However, I am finding it difficult to find breeders who are comfortable shipping eggs.
    I am looking for Whites in particular but would also be interested in other colors.
    Oh, forgot to mention. I have a mature Blue Peacock who is beautiful. He was given to me. I am semi-retired now and thought he would enjoy having a friend. He seems to be happy here on our ranch, free roaming, with the other critters (Emu, goose, duck, turkey, chicken and a pig) I raise sheep, so there are hundreds of those in corrals during lambing, 2 big guard dogs, 2 herding dogs and some tame cats.
    All my fowl are free range, fed and have shelter. Mr. Peacock really needs a friend and I love raising peachicks from eggs. I am hopeful that I have learned from my losses and will be a much better steward this year.
    So, if you are interested in selling and shipping some Peachick eggs, let me know.
    Thanks,
    Carol

2. frenchblackcopper

frenchblackcopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    When the 2017 laying season approaches use e-bay or craigslist and look for eggs that are no longer than 2 days shipping away from you. I know some breeders on ebay lives in the Dakota's. Many in Iowa.Some in Colorado too. expect possibly a 25% hatchrate on shipped eggs and thats if things during shipping do not turn their shipping box into a football. You can use www.zoomthelist to search all or individual states on Craigslist.

3. Midnightman14

Midnightman14 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    I would suggest purchasing juveniles over eggs. Eggs do not handle being shipped very well and if your package gets x-rayed the eggs won't develop. It's always a gamble as frenchbackcopper stated you might get a 25% success rate assuming everything else goes right which can mean alot of wasted money and frustration. I'd contact a reliable breeder who ships and purchase some birds over 3 months to avoid the mortality curve associated with eggs and chicks.

1 person likes this.
  4. Widlast

Widlast Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2016
    Maryland USA
    I agree with Midnightman, mortality rate on shipped eggs is absurdly high. Keep an eye out for poultry swaps and livestock auctions during the spring and summer. I went to one in Maryland in June and bought 3 peachicks, there must have been at least 50 peachicks there.
    They run about $35 to $60 each (depending on color and pattern) so not that much more pricey than the eggs themselves.

1 person likes this.
  5. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    If you want peachicks I can help you out. I don't have any right now, but I will in 2017. I will have Indian Blue peachicks and hopefully White peachicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by