1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Need a chicken sitter/temporary home for my birds in NM or CA

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jonny, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Jonny

Jonny Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Hello all wonderful BYC members!

I am moving from a little town in Northern New Mexico to Southern California. I have 8 birds, one is laying and the rest are about 3 months old.
    During the move, I might have to live in an apartment for a few months while I get a place with a yard. So in the meant time I would love for someone to care for my birds. (I would make sure you have feed, and that you get to enjoy the, so far, 1 egg pr day! (lol)
    I don't like the idea of getting rid of my birds, so they are coming with me!

If you live in New Mexico or Southern California and would like to foster 8 adorable chickens let me know! (1 Buff Orp, 2 Barred Rocks, 1 Cali White, 1 Blue Wyandotte, 1 Egyptian Fayoumi, 1 RIR, 1 Silver Phoenix)

I plan on moving this summer so if you are willing to help, let me know!!!

Thank you,

Jonny

2. Jonny

Dec 28, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    *bump* [​IMG]

3. chickyboomboom

chickyboomboom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Have you tried contacting a 4H club? They might be able to help you out...

Where in So Cal are you relocating to?

4. chickyboomboom

chickyboomboom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    also, you might want to try craigslist... maybe post an ad for someone thinking about starting chickens and they'll get to experience it without fully committing....

I understand that you might be attached to your chickens, but it might be so much easier to give the ones you have away/sell them and then start over when you move. Moving is daunting enough. Moving with chickens, I can't even imagine! Since you don't have a definate time or plan, I think it would be hard to find someone to do it. What if they get attached and don't want to give them back? What if they want to stop taking care of them and you still don't have a yard?

There are lots of feed stores in So Cal and it would be easy to start over with chicks, pullets or layers.

Good luck!

5. CaroleW

CaroleW Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    I don't know if there are any local permaculture websites where you are settling but I know in Phoenix they have a valley permaculture alliance website where some folks set up chicken sitting arrangements. If you can find a similar local site you might find foster care for them.

I like another posters idea of finding a 4H or FFA kid that might help you out.

6. Jonny

Dec 28, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Hello

I appreciate all your inputs! I will definitely check into 4H or other permaculture websites. I may have a friend who I will ask to baby sit. I'll post something when I find a solution [​IMG] I just know I can't give up my chickens, they mean so much to me!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by