Help need advice about my new chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by greenkjb, Aug 13, 2010.

1. greenkjb

greenkjb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Hello everybody. I am new to this site and to having chickens although I am trying to educate myself. I am feeling anxious because almost a week ago we bought 7 lovely 5 month old (approx) hens all from the same person. They are all eating and drinking and are very sweet, but I have noticed since we got them that a few of them have clear discharge coming out of their noses. One of them sneezes occasionally, and another one has the nasal discharge and I just noticed that her right eye has a slight bubble to it (like clear spit). The lady that I got them from said to put them on antibiotics and that cold nights can lead to respiratory infections. They have been on the antibiotics for 2 days now, and I also gave them a heat lamp in their house for night time since it has been chilly and they are young. They seem to like it. All of them are chipper and running around. Am I being overly concerned? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    keep up the antibotic until it says to stop. Depends what you give them. 7-14 days maybe. Lamp and keep away from all healthy birds. Good luck!

3. deuce11705

deuce11705 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Hello greenkjb,

Like you, I am also a new chicken owner. It is easy to become a little too concerned in the beginning, but from everything I have read and researched at this point, I agree with the person you purchased your chickens from and redroosterfarm - continue the antibiotics, use the heat lamp, and contain them away from the healthy chickens. The only additional info I would add would be to make sure that the area stays dry, as wet bedding, humidity, and such can also have a negative impact on respiratory tracts and create more issues. Hope your babies get better soon! [​IMG]

4. stoo

stoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    Hagerstown
    what antibiotic are you using? I haven't had much luck with Duramycin, if the nasal/sneezing doesn't stop by day 3 - I would look for a better antibiotic.

5. greenkjb

greenkjb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Thanks for the advice...I am using the duramycin, it was all that was available at the feed store [​IMG] hopefully I'll see some improvement. If not I guess I'll call the vet. I'm bummed because a big reason to have my own chickens was to avoid having eggs with antibiotics. I'm hoping this will be a one time thing...

6. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    I ended up going to the vet and she said to use tylan injectable. I give .25 cc in the back of the neck 2x a day and it kicked it in 2 days but I gave it for 5. It like worked over night.Before and 2 days later. Good luck![​IMG][​IMG]
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by