help! need advice on chicks i got a week ago, roo or hen?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kaileen20, Oct 18, 2014.

1. kaileen20

kaileen20 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2014
    I got 4 golden comet chicks a week ago and noticed yesterday. That one looks a litter bigger than the three others, also has longer wing feathers and has feathers on its tail, it also is more yellow than brown, the others are more brown with short wing features and a nubby backside... They are all almost two weeks old.. Could I have a rooster? [​IMG] I didn't plan on having a roo but if he is that would be great! The site won't let me upload a pic!

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Pictures would help…you should be able to upload photos under your profile page or insert directly in a thread using the photo button in the area above your typing in the editor page. If doesn't work, post specifically the problem you are having uploading and someone should be able to help.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    A photo will solve the mystery as the chicks you have are very easily sexed.
    Sex links (which GC is another name for red sex link) are pretty easy - the whole concept behind a sex link, to be visually sexed from hatch based on color/pattern. Where did you obtain the chicks from? Did you request/order pullets or did you leave yourself open/order straight run? If from a hatchery or experienced breeder, then chances of a mis-sexed chick would be unlikely. If, though, they came from someone who breeding GC to GC in the misdirected belief that they are producing more GC the entire batch of chicks are a mixed bag because the sex linking does not carry to the second generation and color patterns go out the window.
    On the issue of the larger chick being more feathered out, generally speaking a cockerel will be slower to feather out than a pullet - tail development at 2 weeks is often used as a tell-tale guide for many in making early guesses on gender for their chicks with those having tail feathers being put in the "likely female" group.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    A photo would be helpful.

But, as Ol Grey Mare stated, if they are all about the same color, they are likely all females.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    A photo would be very helpful just so we can verify that your bird is indeed a Golden Comet. Golden Comet is one of many labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links. Golden Comets like all Red Sex Links are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen. The resulting offspring can be sexed by color from hatching (male chicks are whitish, female chicks are reddish), and these color distinctions remain with them throughout their lives (roosters are mostly white with a few reddish feathers in the saddle area, hens are reddish with white underfluff and some white tail feathers). No matter what label they are marketed under, Red Sex Links are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization.

7. kaileen20

Oct 14, 2014
    I got them from a family farm store down the street from me, it still won't let me upload any pics.. It might just be my phone :\

8. kaileen20

Oct 14, 2014

Here are my babies! Finally got them to upload! Thw one with the lonher feathers is the one I was wondering about being a roo??

[​IMG]

9. kaileen20

Oct 14, 2014
    [​IMG]

10. kaileen20

Oct 14, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by