HELP! Need advice on lonely day old chick!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kchristie77, Dec 2, 2011.

1. kchristie77

kchristie77 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2011
    New Jersey
    I just had a bad hatch. One blue birchen marans was born healthy but none of his hatch mates hatched. He is very lonely and stressed when he's alone in the brooder!

So now I'm carrying him around the house with me.

Outside (new jersey) I have 2 Banty Silkie hens "sharing" a nest of eggs with a few babies that hatched. There is also a rooster in there that doesn't seem to mind what's going on.

My question is: dare I put him out in the cold with the silkie hens? He is huge and blue feathered and they are tiny and white! Would he be seen as an outsider and hurt? Also would outdoor temps hurt him since he was born indoors?

What about "stealing" a silkie chick from outside and putting it inside with my lonely chick? I feel bad taking it from the hens though.

Please any advice? I want him/her to raise up healthy, but he is a nice breed and I definitely dont want him to die!

Thanks!!!!
    Kate

2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i a thinking i'd bring one of the silkie chicks in for company- poor little guy!

3. kchristie77

Oct 31, 2011
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the reply yeah I really dont want him to be alone. He's very confused and stressed. That can't be good!

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i have a silky that was raised with a barred rock, they are still best friends- so i don't think the size would be an issue- but they will be buddy's

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I've heard of people using stuffed animals to keep them company and a mirror.. You could try that unless you want to bring another one in to keep her company. If they are much older they can pick on the younger one.

6. kchristie77

Oct 31, 2011
    New Jersey
    That would be nice! Currently my 2 mutt red chickens think the silkies are invaders from another land and so I've had to separate them. But in the future I don't want to have to do that.

7. kchristie77

Oct 31, 2011
    New Jersey
    The silkies are 3 days old at the most. I did put in a stuffed animal maybe I will add a mirror. And think more about bringing a silkie chick in. I just feel bad for the mom that raised and hatched them taking her baby. since there are only 2 or 3 babies. If there's only 2 I won't do it, but if there is 3 maybe I will steal one and give as a friend to the BBM

8. UncleTommy

UncleTommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    Sanger, CA
    I'd really consider taking the chick out to the silkies, silkie mothers are extremly caring, i've heard of them just taking chicks without even sneaking them in. I would put the chick in and make sure your there if they decide they don't want it.

9. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    I would also try it with a silkie mama. My 10 week old silkie is already broody! She has a sister who is the same age but a lot smaller and she sits on her! Is. So funny to watch the smaller one trying to get under her big sis. If it dosnt work putting her with another mum you could always go with the second option and bring a silkie chick in the house. Good luck hun. Tracy xxx

10. kchristie77

Oct 31, 2011
    New Jersey
    OK, sounds like a plan! I will try putting him/her with silkie moms and see how it goes. I know they're good moms because they are still sitting on the eggs that didn't hatch out there and they are both being so good at sharing the eggs and chicks. Its very endearing.

Right now lonely chick is chirping so loud unless we are holding it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by