Help! Need emergency care for an emu with it's yolk sack out!

Iliveinafarm

Hatching
Feb 23, 2023
Hello, so my emu has it's yolk sack out, and I'm not sure what to do to, as someone who never hatched emu eggs before.
I've incubated 4 eggs. So far, two hatched with no problems, one never hatched, and the emu I need help with needed assistance hatching. From what I can tell, the chick was in the wrong position (its head was between its legs).
We had removed most of the shell and saw the yolk sac is still out and kind of stuck to the placenta. he's lethargic, but still breathing and does sometimes respond when he hears a noise. I don't know what else to do to help him.

Hello, so my emu has it's yolk sack out, and I'm not sure what to do to, as someone who never hatched emu eggs before.
I've incubated 4 eggs. So far, two hatched with no problems, one never hatched, and the emu I need help with needed assistance hatching. From what I can tell, the chick was in the wrong position (its head was between its legs).
We had removed most of the shell and saw the yolk sac is still out and kind of stuck to the placenta. he's lethargic, but still breathing and does sometimes respond when he hears a noise. I don't know what else to do to help him.
I haven’t hatched emus but for ducklings this is what I do
If it’s a larger yolk I place baby baby in the bottom of the egg and place egg in a cup upright and wrap dry paper towel around to keep the air from directly blowing on the yolk also helps to keep baby’s neck from falling over
If this makes things to tall for the bator then get a small bowl and place baby in it wrapped in dry paper towel to try to keep the air from directly blowing on the yolk
If it’s a small yolk I just place baby on dry paper towel in a bowl but not cover baby
Hopefully other emu hatchers can help out

Update: my mom managed to remove the rest of the shell and most of the placenta on the chick. We've managed to push some of the yolk sac back into him and added bandages so that it stays in place.

I haven’t hatched emus but for ducklings this is what I do
If it’s a larger yolk I place baby baby in the bottom of the egg and place egg in a cup upright and wrap dry paper towel around to keep the air from directly blowing on the yolk also helps to keep baby’s neck from falling over
If this makes things to tall for the bator then get a small bowl and place baby in it wrapped in dry paper towel to try to keep the air from directly blowing on the yolk
If it’s a small yolk I just place baby on dry paper towel in a bowl but not cover baby
Hopefully other emu hatchers can help out
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom