Help...need gaurd chicken dog

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pistol123, Jun 10, 2011.

1. pistol123

pistol123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    oregon
    Yesterday my good neighbors! two cats killed my pet bunny of three years and my prize Australope Roo and 4 hens in 30 minutes, if that was all it would be enough, but this morning out of the barn window came one of that one cat with a chick. Not sure what to do, but it may be time for a dog that is quite and will gaurd my chickens. I have had it. This was the 2 nd replacement of egg layers.....Help?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Or a pellet gun?!?

3. nicokl502

nicokl502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Kansas City Mo
    a golden a good dog and they don't go after the chicken we also have a jack russell but he like to go after the chickens won't kill them but does freak them out and i hate it but he does keep any other animals out

4. goatsnchicks

goatsnchicks New Egg

Jun 9, 2011
    I'm building my coop in my goat pasture so my Great Pyrenees can guard the chickens as well as the goats. She is already bonded to them and it's only been a few weeks. All I had to do was hold one of the chicks so she could sniff and lick it's bum. Now they are hers!

5. pistol123

Mar 16, 2011
    oregon
    Thank you a great it is, Pyrenees now to find one....

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  6. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    Most Jack Russell kills cats [​IMG]

7. pistol123

Mar 16, 2011
    oregon
    Great Pyrenees are hard too find I found out!

8. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    My welsummer roo managed to keep the cats at bay, however he managed to keep me at bay also............. demon chicken shredded the clothes right off my back.

9. chickenmom1

chickenmom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    I am proud to say that I got a border collie/ i think spaniel mix (they said she was a lab mix) from petfinder.com and she is great with the chickens. I am presently teaching her to round them up for me and she can come right up on them and not hurt them. Bunnies might be another story, she has eaten one baby, but I have also recently trained her to come when I call and she responds even when she is chasing a rabbit. Love her she is wonderful.
    J

10. Dannee

Dannee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:I have 2 Pyrenees too and they are wonderful with small animals...fierce protectors yet gentle giants

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by