Help! Need good home for Chinese Goose in Phoenix, AZ

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Rooikop, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Rooikop

Rooikop New Egg

Jan 27, 2015
    I live in a community that has a small lake. Someone must have decided 6 months ago that it would be fun to have Chinese geese on the lake and one day 2 appeared from no-where! The one disappeared and there is one left.

It is used to being fed by a lot of the people in the community so it does not bother to find its own food. However, because it is a rather noisy bird, some of the folks in the neighborhood are less than charmed and are threatening to catch it & take it out to the desert and let it go. I have not seen it fly at all so I don't even know if it can.

I would hate to see this beautiful animal being dropped in the desert because someone was selfish enough to want this bird without considering how other people would react.

If there is anyone in AZ who already has Chinese geese and would like another one, please reply to this posting.

Thank you!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm so sorry to hear this and hope you can find a good home for the one that's left. Please post on this thread people go here to look for animals.. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16182/animals-in-need-of-free-re-homing

3. lovedbygeese

lovedbygeese Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2014
    Foremost: How is your Chinese doing?

Need any tips on feed/nutrition? Sometimes the ones that are abandoned learn to graze in time, but still remember the comfort of feed on a regular schedule and appreciate it.

The best news your goose has is that if they've been fed regularly, recently, there's a very good chance it still has a full compliment of vitamins/minerals in it's system (maybe even antibiotics or probiotics, too, depending on what it was fed at it's original home.) A healthy goose should have a sufficient level of protein to help keep it's muscles, wings and mind working well, possibly vitamin A (essential for improved vision, esp night vision,) probiotics can help it begin to adjust to more of a grazing diet (and different water), amino acids help with feather conditioning/growth, calcium and vit. D for bone health (and eggs, if your goose is a lady) and in the case your bird is in questionably clean water, any antibiotics it may've received in it's food would offer a fair bit of protection (often for a few weeks after ceasing with that food.) At the farm or home where your Chinese may've come from, they likely received most of their vitamins and minerals through their water (a sticky wicket, since your little one is likely used to drinking whatever water it's in now.)

I've a few other things I'm doing today, but I'd be grateful to hear how your Chinese is faring and happy to chat should you ping me with a PM (I'll could walk you through goose feed types and a few good spots in the East Valley.)

Wishing the best for yourself and your goose,

You both sound like tender-hearted souls and your goose couldn't have found a better advocate[​IMG]

(I wonder why Backyard Chickens doesn't have other animated poultry emoticons yet? I'd love to see a few geese, ducks, coot, roosters...)

lovedbygeese

4. Rooikop

Rooikop New Egg

Jan 27, 2015
    So here is an update on the chinese goose in our community…..

Things are pretty bad because it appears that one of the residents in the community shot the poor thing and it now has pellets in its neck. She is very stressed and starting to pluck out all her feathers. I plant to get her to a vet tomorrow or Saturday.

Reason I say it is a female is because she got very broody when the ducklings started to hatch and ended up "adopting" 6 of them!

Anyway, I desperately need to find a home for this beautiful bird.

Please, please, please, if you know of anyone who has place for her, I would be more than happy to transport her (within AZ) and even help with her keep.

Feeling sad and desperate.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I hate to hear this poor thing please do take her to a vet or she most likely will die from metal poisoning. they need to come out. can you post a pic of this goose it maybe a gander because ganders are very loving parents too.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/31227/arizona-chickens/54980#post_15367136
    As for finding a home or help go here and ask if anyone knows of a water fowl rescue or if any one would be interested in this goose . It's life is in danger if it stays there that's for sure.
    So sweet of you to care.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by