1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Need Heat Tolerant Breed... that's nice too?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Faye, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Faye

Faye Out Of The Brooder

Do you know of a breed that would do well in over 100 degree weather for weeks at at time AND be friendly to four middle school aged children ??? We have no snow here in CA and it gets 40 degrees in winter. White Leghorns were suggested to me, but I heard they are not nice.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hi Faye and welcome to BYC!

Here's is a handy chart that can tell you about the different breeds and how they do with heat and cold:

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

I personally would never own a leghorn. Spastic birds are not for me.
    I chose brahmas because they are known to be docile and they tolerate the heat very well.

3. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    I would suggest buff catalana. They are big in South America.

Tim

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Funny, I was just reading about Catalanas and decided they'd not be cold tolerant enough, being Mediterranean. They do very well in heat.

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Madagascar game or Turkens (naked necks). [​IMG]

6. Faye

Faye Out Of The Brooder

Thanks....I forgot to say-- I do want 5/wk egg laying hens only, no roos.

I was thinking RIR hens... but are they nice??? Another lady also said Easter Eggers. We do have 12 acres of dirt and weeds,,, and in the winter 12 acres of mud. :eek:)

Faye

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Buttercups will do nicely too. Blue Andalusians as well.

RIRs are very nice to have...all purpose birds, what more can you ask? Make sure they are not production reds which they are spazzy!

8. Melilem

Melilem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    How about production reds or some other laying hen? Those commercial laying houses get aweful hot, I know those hens have to have good heat tolerance bred in. And, they have great food to egg conversion. I have some red sex links now, and have had cinamon queens in the past, and they are some of the friendliest chickens I have owned.

9. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Quote:I live in similar heat, except get monsoons for a few months in the summer. Having misters in the pen helps in the extreme heat. I have 3 RIR, 2 Easter eggers, and 3 black australorps and 3 Cuckoo Marans. All have done well. In the summer heat I change water twice a day, sometimes adding ice. Also we have our pens outside covered in 80% uv blocking sun shade which helps a lot!
    *Forgot to mention our RIR were not nice until they started laying, now the sweetest in the bunch
    the australorps have always been nice birds
    the EE are shy but sweet
    the Cuckoo marans are different than the others, not mean but keep to themselves. The roo is a handful.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by