Help! Need idea's for indoor chicken pen's.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SamDogg, Nov 2, 2011.

1. SamDogg

SamDogg New Egg

Jun 7, 2010
    Ok, I finally got my husband to agree to build me a building for my chickens. We have several small buildings that have all been made from recycled materials, all free except for fencing. This has worked well for the past 6 years, but we are getting more expensive birds as the kids are getting into showing and I need to make sure all of the birds are safe!. So, we have built a 30x40 pole barn that I am having 5 8x10 pens built into. I will have a large storage area, and area's for cages for extra rooster's. Eventually I will add a room for brooder's, so I get them out of my garage. So my questions are: We will be using plywood around the bottoms 4' of the pens to keep the dogs from jumping up and damaging the fencing, should I paint the plywood to help it resist mites and make it easier to clean? If so, is there any paint that is safer to use than another. Second Question- I will be keeping mostly feather footed varieties in white and black in these pens. I am considering using sand for the flooring but am wondering about it staining the foot feathers of the white colored birds. Has anyone had a problem with this? We are just about finished with the indoor pens, then will begin work on outside runs. I have spent months reading all the post's here on BYC and have enjoyed every moment of it, and have really learned alot. Thanks everyone for all your info.

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
  3. LizzyJo

LizzyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Aptos CA
    1. Forget about the apostrophes. [​IMG]

2. It sounds like a neat plan. I wouldn't think that plain sand would stain, but the stuff that might mix in with it could. Are the girls going to have a sunny yard?

4. SamDogg

SamDogg New Egg

Jun 7, 2010
    Thanks Chickendales for the link. More ideas to think about.

Yes, LizzyJo the girls will have a sunny yard. That is "phase 2" of the building plan. I haven't decided for sure how big the outdoor runs will be. Space is not a problem, but it will get pretty pricey as I have to use 1/2" hardware cloth for all fencing. We have alot of trouble with mink in our area and have to make sure they cannot fit through, or dig under.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by