Help!! Need input please...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by enggass, Mar 5, 2013.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Ok. So I have eggs coming from 3 different sources. All were expected today - but - some came yesterday, some came today, and I am still waiting on the others to come tomorrow... The ones I got yesterday are 7 days old now and really need to be set. Is there any way I can set those eggs today, as well as the ones that came today and then set the late arrivals tomorrow? Will that mess things up too much? It would mean that the ones set tomorrow would go into lock-down 24 hrs early...

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    have you done this before?

3. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    It would be better to hold the eggs & put them all in together. staggered hatches can cause problems although I'm not sure one day would have much of an impact. Eggs can be held 10 so you have time. Just keep those you have, small point down in cartons, keep them cool (room temperature) they should be fine

4. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I would agree with bill.

5. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Yes, your eggs will be fine waiting for all to arrive. I normally rotate them every other day. Good luck on your hatch!

6. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Thanks for all of the input. My stragglers still did not arrive today, so I think I will set what I have tonight and add the stragglers tomorrow - assuming they come. They were mailed Saturday Priority Mail - gotta love the USPS!!! I don't think it would be wise to wait on the 31 eggs I do have for the 6+ I am expecting...

They would be set about 12-18hrs after the first so I can't imagine it would cause too much trouble if they all go into lockdown together at the end.

I know by adding the stragglers it may bring the temp down a bit for a brief time - how will this effect the young embryos of the others?

Steve

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by