Help! Need more ideas for kids school lunches!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by TipsyDog, Oct 13, 2009.

1. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    I hope this is the correct section to post about this.

My sister has 3 boys and we can't think of any more lunches to pack for them (they're picky of course). The school year is just starting and she'd like to get away from all the processed cold cuts like the usual baloney and salami. Peanut butter is discouraged because of other children with extreme peanut allergies in the class.

The boys are kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade. I keep drawing a blank since mine is long out of the house and gone, but it's going to be a long year unless she comes up with more lunch options!

I've come up with the obvious - egg salad, tuna salad. Liverwurst if she can get them to eat it.

Anyone with more ideas? What do you pack for your kids?

2. AndreaGS

AndreaGS Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2008
    West Sacramento, CA
    check out lunchinabox.net.

I LOVE IT.

3. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    Quote:Wow! Those lunches are a bit tough for such young children. They can't heat anything up and the boys would lose the containers. Kids tend not to remember to bring home their lunch containers [​IMG]

I'm still looking for more ideas - anyone else?

4. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Do the search on here and see if that one or two that was on here when school first started. It was great. That one mom was ON top of things, and she had just simply wonderful ideas!! Good luck!!

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I think things like chicken nuggets, or even grilled chicken (or hamburger patties) from dinner the night before, cut up into pieces, with carrot sticks or apple slices, a roll, whatever. Those don't need to be heated up...I eat cold chicken all the time...
    The time from the fridge in the morning till lunch time...those foods would do fine w/out being kept cold.

6. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Try www.kraftfoods.com

Super easy stuff and they have a free magazine you can get with recipes!

7. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
  8. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

cheese & crackers

pb on a ritz

soup in a thermos (just right temp at lunch) my kids favorite!

salad with chicken, steak, etc cut up. (shredded cheese entices them to eat the GREEN)

dry cereal and buy a milk (.35 here) or bring some in the soup thermos-put in freezer night before

veggies and pb or dip or honey or anything to get them to eat the veggies

Good luck!

BTW mine are 1st grade, 5th gr. and 7th gr.

9. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

My 1st grade, peanut allergic son likes leftovers for lunch. he gets pizza (home made of course) pretty regularly, and things like Meatballs (his fave!), cold cooked tofu, shrimp cocktail, left over burritos, cold chicken, and cheese and crackers, plus of course, fruit, cheese stick, sliced cukes or celery, or cooked broccoli, and sometimes a cup o' pudding, or a bag o' fruit snacks...

10. chickaddict

chickaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Bristol
    This isn't a food idea but more of a helpful hint.

IF you make the sandwiches on frozen bread in the morning, it has just enough time to thaw before lunch. It tastes superfresh.

It also opens up sandwich possibilities you normally wouldn't do because there isn't enough time after the thaw for anything to leak through.

like tuna oil, jam, mayo,

meanwhile the frozen bread keeps the vegies from getting warm and soggy.

this is called an invention through adversity

ran out of bread - had to use frozen - kids came home raving about lunch

lunch was forever altered

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by