Help ! Need pic of spradle foot splint

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken Woman, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I searched spradle foot but found no pics of splinting ? I have one chick that is 24 hours old that just lays on side. When I sit her up she stays a couple seconds and then trys to walk and falls over.

Please direct me to a picture of a splint on a new chick. They have not been on wire. She has never gotten up on own since she was born. She seems strong enough ?

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    actually looks like curled toes on both feet. gave some baby vitamins 3 drops.
    What else should I do ? I can not cull this chick. I just can't do it ! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2008
  3. hot wing stables

hot wing stables Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    here is a website that might help

http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

if he is not eating, get a needless siringe and mix vitamin water with chickfeed and put it in his beak and slowly squeze, after about a second let him swallow. we've gone through this before, its not fun, we did not know what to do with him, then the next morning i went out, he passed on.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  4. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    With a chick that small, a bandaid will work. Cut it in half lengthwise.
    Put one half around one leg just below the bend, the other half on the other leg and you can attach both ends together between the legs about an inch apart. (Picture handcuffs.)The chick will tip over a lot at first, you will need to keep flipping him upright. Please be careful he doesn't fall in the waterer!

I can sent you a sketch if you need one.
    Good luck!

5. hot wing stables

hot wing stables Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    yeah, thats on the site and should help, but he might fall a couple times before he learns how to hop in it.

6. guineachicken

guineachicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2012
    Can you use a band aid on a silkie chick??? please advise ASAP.... :(

7. PugBug

PugBug Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2012
    South Louisiana
    Thank you so much for this info! And the band aid really works!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by