1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!! Need quick, inexpensive coops plans for snowy area!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kbuckland, Jan 31, 2011.

1. kbuckland

kbuckland New Egg

May 22, 2010
    Hi there someone just gave us 7 grown chickens and I need to build a coop of some sort for them, unexpectedly it snowed last night and is supposed to ALL week!! [​IMG] I am hoping to build something for under $100 or right around?? Doesn't have to be fancy or gorgeous, just functional and pretty quick...Thanks in advance!!!!

Karla in so. Utah

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Use pallets.They are very inexpensive/cheap/free. have one side two pallets,the back one pallet,the other side two pallets,the front one pallet and screw them together.Thencut an entrance/exit hole in the front pallet.Then get some 2x4's and make two roosts about in the middle and 1/2 way off the ground having it connect the side walls.Then you need two pallets for the roof. In total eight pallets. Then go either get a big enough tarp (16' x 40' tarp) and tarp it all down.then around the sides take shovels full of dirt and pack it around the sides of the whole thing to prevent snow or rain comming in thru the bottom.Make it sloping.

Once this storm blows over,then you can make a better coop.This temp coop should be 8'x4' (32sqft.) 32 divided by 7 chickens = 4.57 sqft per bird.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Alternatively, assuming these are chickens that have lived together before?, see if you can borrow two large dog crates. Any type is fine. If you have the wire type of crate, put it on its side so it is shorter but larger area. Put half the chickens in one dog crate, half in the other, wire their waterer and feeder to the sides so they can't knock 'em over, and there ya go. Preferably put this in your garage so it is predatorproof and protected from the weather. I would be leery of doing it outdoors, even with a tarp, b/c predators can harass and possibly even kill/eat them thru the openings in the dog crates.

Or: Buy 2 full and one half sheets of plywood (any type, even OSB would more or less work, but at least 1/2" thick). Drill holes along the long side of the two full sheets, holes maybe 1/4" and at least an inch from the edge and spaced every 6" or so. Use fence wire or sumpin' like that to lace the two sheets together to make a A-frame tent shape. Take the half-sheet, lean it against one open end of the A frame, mark along the inside of where they meet, then screw some scrap 2x2 or 2x4 pieces along that line, replace the end piece and screw the A-frame ends thru into those battens. Now you have an A-frame coop with one open end. Do something intelligent about the open end [​IMG] (drill a few holes and wire on a collapsed wire dogcrate as a 'gate', or anything like that). Put the coop on something undiggable, like pavement, and weight it down good with a few cinderblocks leaned up on both sides. Add bedding and chickens; ta-da. You can reuse the plywood for other projects once you no longer need this thing; or just take it apart and store it flat for your next emergency need.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  4. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Thats better than mine patandchickens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by