HELP!!! Need show advice:) just getting started!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ket806, Dec 11, 2012.

1. ket806

ket806 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2012
    Hello everyone! I am new to the show world:) I am very excited to get started its been something I've wanted to do for a while! Now I get to do it:))! My interests in showing are polish,frizzle,d'uccle, and SILKIES!!! I am up for absolutely anything to show but those are my fave!! I attatched a few pics of a few I have now and will really appropriate any input THANK YOU!!

These silkies I acquired from a friend she had them as pets. I am curious if they are just pets or if they have potential in breeding or show:) they are all young birds(as I was told). None have molted yet.
    •White nonbearded silkie hen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    •buff non bearded silkie hen(I believe she's the best I have)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    •black non bearded silkie hen(older then others)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    •silkie non bearded hen(I don't think she is show quality just want to know if she is full and what her color is)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    •non bearded silkie roo(again don't think he is show quality want to know color and if he is full)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ~~~ok this is a Japanese white roo. He stands in a v to impress(show,pet,breeder?)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ~~~Japanese white hen(breed,show,pet)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you so much for looking and for any input:)

2. OR4-hmom

OR4-hmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    Sorry I can't be of any help with Silkies. I'm guessing you will be showing in conformation which I haven't done, only helped kids with chicken info for their 4-H showmanship.
    Hopefully someone with Silkie knowledge will chime in for you.

The JB roo has what is known as wry tail - I believe that is a disqualification in showing.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Pets, all pets.

4. ket806

Dec 7, 2012
    Also have these mottled d'uccles(breed,show,pet)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. ket806

Dec 7, 2012
    Thank you for the info!! I posted the silkies on a silkie thread and learned a ton! Now what is a "wry tail"? Sorry like I said I am just beginning in all the show stuff and figured I get mor knowledge before I bought. I thought If I posted a few birds of my own I could learn what and what not to look for! Thanks again every little bit helps:)

6. ket806

Dec 7, 2012
    Thank you for your input!:)

7. OR4-hmom

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    The tail goes off at an angle to the body rather than coming straight off the back.

8. ket806

Dec 7, 2012
    Oooo I see!!! Now is this the breed that should be in a v shape all the time?

9. OR4-hmom

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    Not sure what you mean by "V"? There are sure to be pictures on the JB thread here. But when looking straight down on the bird they should have their head, body, and tail tip all on the same line. JB alao have a very distinctive side view. With the short back and the angle the tail rises over the back maybe that is the "V".

10. ket806

Dec 7, 2012
    Thank you I will go look:) yes that's what I ment by v I didn't know how to describe it haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by