Help! Need temporary coop/brooder for 6wk olds

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by eponagirl, Apr 28, 2009.

1. eponagirl

eponagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Quiet Corner, CT
    [​IMG] Our coop was supposed to be finished by now, but as it goes with all construction...never done when you think it will be! [​IMG]

Anyway, next week I will be getting 4 six week old wyandottes and need a place to house them until the coop is done...they will probably need be in there for about 3 more weeks when coop should be ready.

Any ideas about something simple to keep them in?

Would an extra large wire dog crate be enough space? Dimensions are: 48"L x 30"Wx 33"H

2. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Buy 4 sheets of OSB and make a 4x4 coop [​IMG] Use scrap wood. It can sit on the ground, pretty much just a box... It won't be hurricane proof, but should work. Or if you have about 2 days, check out my playhouse coop. Its on here somewhere [​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If they will be out of the rain, as in a garage, you can just use a large box, like a stove or refrigerator box, with some bird netting or an old window screen to keep them from flying out.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Your wire crate should work, too, for a few weeks. I would cover the wire bottom with wood shavings or something to prevent feet from getting caught and injured. And I would use a ball waterer and small feeder to save space.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2009
  5. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    A dog carrier would work as a great temporary home for the chicks, if you have one or can borrow one.

6. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    5 t-posts and 3 rolls of hardware cloth, and a large dog house [​IMG] 4 tposts are your corners, and then one is your door/gate. Wire for the top. It's ugly and kind of redneck, but it's cheap and it works! [​IMG]

We were stuck with that for about 3 weeks until my older chickens accepted the younger ones. Funny thing is, the younger chicks still want to go back into it at night and I have to shoo them away from it until I can get them into the "real" coop! I need to keep the ugly temp pen up because I have another group of babies that will be in it shortly [​IMG] Then I may leave it up and let my bunny play in it on nice days! [​IMG]

7. eponagirl

eponagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Quiet Corner, CT
    Maybe I can connect an extra large dog crate to a medium size one for more space? My 6 two week old chicks are using another large dog crate (thank goodness I have 3 dogs to have all these crates around to use!)

I think the chicks can go in the garage, basement or our large livingroom where the other chicks are...by then though I may want all of them in the garage?

How much space do I need to have for them? This is my first time raising chickens, so I don't know how big they'll be at 6 wks...

8. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I use a hard plastic baby pool with cardboard around the inside to make it taller and netting over the top. You can also use wire to make it taller , I've seen that done too.

nancy

9. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I used plastic baby gates. I quickly zip-tied them together and zip-tied some plastic fencing I had hanging around over the top of it. I used that for several weeks--they had grown too big for the kitchen brooder but were still too little to go in with the 'big kids'. I set it up next to the regular coop so that they all could get used to each other. My coop is in the garage.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by