Help! Need to know who will be white, and who will be red -- whote ones go to a friend and her new

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by robocluck, Feb 23, 2014.

1. robocluck

robocluck Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2013
    Hi Everyone!

My new arrivals, hatched 2/22/14 and beyond! Fourteen so far and still hatching.

I crossed my "red/black/green/and a few white hairs" Partridge Rock Rooster to
    * 2 Grey Andalusians (they are all of the black/grey chicks)
    * 1 Red Sexlink, &
    * 3 "free Purina" White Sexlinks (2 all white, one speckled red)

What colors will I get as adults?

Most important is guessing which of the lighter ones will be red versus white, as a friend gets the white or mostly white ones.

Thanks so much!

I assume Chick A on the left will turn red and chick B on the right will turn white?
    [​IMG]

Chick B
    [​IMG]

Chick A
    [​IMG]

Chick B
    [​IMG]

Chick C
    [​IMG]
    Chick C
    [​IMG]
    Chick D
    [​IMG]
    Chick E
    [​IMG]
    Chick E
    [​IMG]
    Chick F (Gold with WHITE racing stripes!)
    [​IMG]
    Chick F
    [​IMG]
    Chick G (black or grey?)
    [​IMG]
    Chick G, different lighting, same camera
    [​IMG]
    Chick H
    [​IMG]
    Chick H = Cleopatra or Isis,for obvious reasons :) ...
    [​IMG]
    Chick I (eye)
    [​IMG]
    Chick J (black or grey?) ... several are either G or J
    [​IMG]
    Chick J
    [​IMG]
    Chick J will be named Black Beauty ;) ..
    [​IMG]
    Chick K
    [​IMG]
    Chick K
    [​IMG]
    Chick K
    [​IMG]
    Precious was purring LOUDLY while watching her Peeps
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi,
    White sex-links don't breed true for white. And you bred them to a partridge rooster.
    I don't see any combination here which will give you white chicks. Everything is either
    going to be colors or have red bleeding thru the light color. That dorsal head stripe on
    some of the chicks is coming from the Partridge sire.

I crossed my "red/black/green/and a few white hairs" Partridge Rock Rooster :
    Partridge Rock Rooster ex 2 Grey Andalusians (they are all of the black/grey chicks)
    Partridge Rock Roosterex 1 Red Sexlink, [ chicks in shades of red and brown]
    Partridge Rock Rooster ex 3 "free Purina" White Sexlinks (2 all white, one speckled red)
    [chicks in shades of red and brown...and chicks with splash coloring in red and brown and white]

I think your partridge rooster is based on e+ ( head stripe in the chicks). I don't think
    the light chicks are indicative of a white adult. I think they are eWh locus based which
    has shades of red/brown/ in adult plumage. eWh chick down can look light yellow or
    even white. If you look closely, you can see tints of darker yellow in some parts of the
    chick down. That is the red bleeding thru and will be much darker yellow/brown
    when the chick matures.

Best, Karen in western PA

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  3. robocluck

robocluck Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2013
    thanks, karen!

some of the chicks are pure yellow (white), so i'll repost later to show how they turned out ....

one of my white sex link hens started out white and ended up white with red speckles ... is this what you mean by the red bleeding through? that will still result in a mostly white chicken that's a long distance coyote bait ....

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by