Help needed about Rhode Island Reds or New Hampshire

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BroodGranny, Jan 9, 2013.

1. BroodGranny

BroodGranny Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2012
    Northwest Louisiana
    Good morning, I am going to start my first flock in about 6 to 8 weeks. I have been researching by way of reading websites, books and talking to others who own chickens. I am going to get 5 baby chicks and have picked 4 without a problem. I need help on the fifth one. I can not decided between getting a RIR or New Hampshire. I am getting egg laying/dual purpose birds. From what I have read, is the New Hampshire the same as the RIR only nicer, feathers faster and starts laying earlier? I need the know the pros and cons of each one from people who own them. This would be very helpful. Thank you.

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  3. BroodGranny

Oct 22, 2012
    Northwest Louisiana
    Thank you Karen, I will check those out.

4. uphilljill

uphilljill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Southern Adirondacks, NY
    I have one of each. There's a color difference: The NH is a medium red, and the RIR is mahogany. I believe the NH was developed from the RIR to be a faster growing, meater bird vs egg laying. I got them both already a year old, so I don't know who grew fastest, but the NH was the faster molter in my flock this year. Also, my RIR had been laying almost an egg a day throughout winter with no added light, but I'm only getting about 3-4 eggs/week from the NH. Still pretty good considering my Buffs aren't laying at all.

What are the other breeds you're considering?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  5. BroodGranny

Oct 22, 2012
    Northwest Louisiana
    Since this is my first flock I have picked out a Buff Orpington, Barred Plymoth Rock, white Leghorn, black Australorp and then I can't decide between RIR or NH.:)

6. uphilljill

uphilljill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Southern Adirondacks, NY
    Nice mix either way. Or get both! ;) Enjoy!

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Truthfully, if you're getting them from a hatchery or hatchery stock there's minimal difference. They'll both be red birds that lay well.

8. Wyandotte96

Wyandotte96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2012
    Ohio
    Since the Rhode Island Red has a longer carcass it will lay more years than the NH.

9. BroodGranny

Oct 22, 2012
    Northwest Louisiana
    Thanks for the information. I am leaning toward the RIR. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by