1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help needed ASAP . *Pictures*Severe Leg problem older chick!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WeeNicole, Sep 28, 2015.

1. WeeNicole

WeeNicole Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2013
    Northern Ireland
    Hi all in need of some hurried advice. Noticed one of my ayam cemani chicks that are 7 weeks old limping. Saw nothing obvious a bit of poop stuck to its foot so flicked that off thinking that maybe was why.

Next day chick was down, one leg stretched out in front of it the other leg was fine. I thought splay leg and attempted to strap the leg as you would. All went great but it didn't work. Also slipped tendon went through my mind, tried to feel if tendon was out of place and honestly I felt nothing different comparing two legs[​IMG]

The bad leg seems problematic nearer to the hip of this chick if you hold it on your hand between legs to let them dangle it pulls good leg up and in and the bad leg is outstretched. It's as if it's hip is dislocated or something. No breaks (that I can feel) no swelling (apart from today I noticed its good leg hock is a little swole looking.

It's now been a few days no change, chick is happy as parry eating drinking no pain. But I need answers to see if it's fixable at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WeeNicole

Jul 5, 2013
    Northern Ireland
    [​IMG]

3. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    I had a chick that hatched like this. Are these recent symptoms or did they show up just recently?

4. WeeNicole

Jul 5, 2013
    Northern Ireland
    Literally one day he limped the next he was like this :( this breed is very expensive so I'd be gutted to lose another chick got 6 in total, one got squashed by mother hen. Now this wee dude is all messed up.

(Thanks for reply) total guessing game with this chick!

5. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Are your chicks still in a brooder?

6. WeeNicole

Jul 5, 2013
    Northern Ireland
    No they are outside in a coop and run with broody hen. On grass, before that they were in shed in a chick coop/run on concrete but filled with shavings

7. WeeNicole

Jul 5, 2013
    Northern Ireland
    Cluck cluck girl, what happened with your hatched chick? Did it need culled in the end?

8. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    So sorry for my late reply!

I tried to help him along with his leg, but he got to about 4 months of age and he wasn't growing right and one morning he passed peacefully.

9. Alex1010

Alex1010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    Are You Still Not Doing Anything To Help It?

10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Going to try to bump thread, but you may need to repost in "Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures" section of the forums if you need more help.
    Also when you repost, you may want to list if you have been giving vitamins,etc., and if your little one has been vaccinated.
    Hope he is doing ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by