1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help Needed!! Chicken is loose! ** She's Back! w/ PICS **

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by catdaddy66, Jan 28, 2011.

1. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    My wife was watering the hens this afternoon and one of my EE hens bolted to freedom! My wife, son, granddaughter and son's friend could not catch the girl, now named "Lightning". I work 1 hour from home and did not get home until dark. When I did, I heard Lightning near my house. I went in and in quick fashion made a "chicken catcher" stick that I had seen in a book that I read. 5 minutes later I went back out to catch her but she was nowhere to be found. My dogs came in the house with me and could not have gotten her, and no other dogs were on my property at the time so I do not feel she was injured or attacked, only lost. I know most birds will try to roost off of the ground and it is easier to catch them at night, but I cannot locate her in the dark!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

What can be done to give her the best chance to be rounded up and rehomed with the flock before she meets any nefarious situation? I am worried sick over her welfare but feel helpless at the moment!!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Take a strong flashlight outside with you and search the trees, rooflines, anywhere up high. She's likely roosted up somewhere for the night. Also, check nooks and crannies down around the coop. Good luck!!! [​IMG]

eta: when you find her, shine the light in her face so she can't see you coming at her. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  3. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    Just bummed!! Went out twice with my son and his friend but found no chicken named Lightning after looking high and low! I hope she makes it thru the night ok.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    [​IMG]

5. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Hey Cat, I wouldn't loose too much sleep over her tonight. If its dark already, she is probably roosting somewhere in peace. Shake that food in the morning by the coop and watch her come a runnin. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. We experienced the same thing back in 2007. Our rooster got out and we were new parents to these chickens. We had heard about the flashlight search and did do that and found him perched on a limb about 10' up in an Oak tree. But he saw us and got away. He came home each morning to tend the hens and he made sure they got back in the coop each night but he was always watching us and if we moved near him in any way he ran. You cannot catch a chicken. It is impossible. So we built a bigger chicken house and six months later he liked the looks of it, went inside and roosted. It was that easy after he decided to come back home.

7. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Those silly EE's, they run so darn fast [​IMG], hope you find her safe

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  8. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    here's an old mexican trick that i do...

get a coat hanger and straighten it out... on the tip of it, fold it like two inches in to make a hook to hold the chicken's leg in, but not to choke or hurt the bird's leg... and bring her on home...

that's what i do when my OEGB's jump on my roof or try to jam up in a tree...

HTH...

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Did she show up this morning?

10. DelcoChix

DelcoChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Am hoping and thinking your renegade has returned by now?
    We have a pair of lovely Buckeye hens that get picked on by the other biddies, so although they didn't escape, they are free rangers every day, come in at night...except a few times this past fall (and again last week) when we didn't get home from hs football games in time...and the shed door had blown shut...I was really worried, searched the whole fencerow with a flashlight, the yard, calling (yeah, I know,like they'd answer)....finally I went in. Bright and early the next morning there they were, waiting to be let in to their food. This has happened quite a few times since and I don't worry too much anymore, figure they are pretty good at taking care of themselves, although I don't like them out (too many hungry bellies out there--raccoons, oppossums, owls, coyotes, foxes...etc.). Also, have come to the conclusion that if something were to happen then life goes on--we are trying our best to protect them, but the alternative would be to stick them in with the mean girls and they would be miserable...plus I like it when they come to the back door begging for a treat, looking in the glass at us. Just my opinion, but hopefully your wild one has come home by now:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by