HELP NEEDED** Chicken sick

chic-chics

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 30, 2011
Hi,

We have three laying hens about 2 years old. They are free range a few hrs a day, rest of the day they're in their coop with good food and water. Yesterday there was one chicken lying down with one half closed eye, would not stand or struggle if you pick her up. One side looks alert and the other side of her face looks sick (with the half shut eye) she drinks and eats, I've left her at the water troff with some food next to her this morning as she seems about the same condition as yesterday.

There was an old cucumber I left for them on the grass while free range and I dd notice that they'd eaten alot of that, it wasn't rotten but wasn't fit for us to eat either, could this have been the cause?

Please help diagnose our chicken!!

Last edited:
No idea on the cuke.Could you crate inside and feed the hen some warm foods and vits in the water? I have a hen inside a dog crate while she heals her vent area.

You could try antibios.I often read once they act sick they are pretty darn sick.Hope you can perk her up.I always did isolation,foods,vits,,and meds.

Well shes still same, I want to add it's extremely hot and humid at the moment so maybe heat stroke?
We took her inside in the aircon all night, still won't stand, eats and drinks ok though. Thoughts?

Well shes still same, I want to add it's extremely hot and humid at the moment so maybe heat stroke?
We took her inside in the aircon all night, still won't stand, eats and drinks ok though. Thoughts?
Could be anything, including Merek's. If she were mine, I would do a thorough exam, dust for mites/lice even if I couldn't see any, weigh her and deworm with Safeguard for Goats/Cattle (fenbendazole 100mg/ml) at the rate of 50mg/kg ( .5cc/kg) by mouth and repeat in 10 days.

Thanks. We have a small bottle of wormer for pigeons and livestock. I dosed the water at the desired normal rate last night, is it safe to mix up a (how much with water?) batch and spoon feed? The stuff we have is called "Piperazine Solution"
images

Thanks again,
Well we're on the 3rd day and shes still not standing, but today shes laid an egg!!..?? She eats and drinks fine, what to do?
My Wife wants me to take her to the Vet, but thats always expensive, is it best to let her rest like she is?

Last edited:
Thanks again,
Well we're on the 3rd day and shes still not standing, but today shes laid an egg!!..?? She eats and drinks fine, what to do?
My Wife wants me to take her to the Vet, but thats always expensive, is it best to let her rest like she is?

I would weigh her daily and if she starts to lose weight, call the vet. You might want to research cage layer fatigue syndrome and see what that says.

Back
Top Bottom