help needed! dead chicken!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cat1234, Oct 19, 2014.

1. cat1234

cat1234 New Egg

Oct 19, 2014
    keighley west yorkshire
    Hi all,
    Im new to owning chickens and got given to welsummers about a week ago.
    Ive followed everyones advice and put 100% into looking after them.
    I went out to open there coop this morning to find one dead! A few feathers on the floor but no blood and my other one seems very jumpy and unsettled. What could have gone wrong?

Some advice please :( x

2. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    I'm wondering if some sort of predator got into your coop?

If that was the case it would explain why the remaining hen was jumpy.

How awful for you. I'm really sorry you had to go through that.

Krista

3. cat1234

cat1234 New Egg

Oct 19, 2014
    keighley west yorkshire
    It was locked and very secure no holes :/ could one have attacked the other?

4. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Well, I guess anything is possible but it's fairly unlikely that one would fight the other to the death.

Unless of course they were both cockerels. Cockerels and roosters can fight to the death.

Do you know if they were cockerels or pullets? And what was the story behind getting them? Were they raised together? Did they fight often when you were watching them? Were both birds in good health? And do you know their age?

Krista

5. KittyKat3756

KittyKat3756 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2014
    Norfolk, UK
    It is possible for a young hen to just keel over for no reason, one of mine did it earlier this year. It's not impossible for them to get a stroke or a heart attack which won't leave you with any easily identifiable cause of death. You should also feel the crop: is it full, soft and squidgy? is it full and solid?

If you feel comfortable with it, you could attempt an autopsy, but it's not likely that you will find something, especially if you're not sure what to look for. Could still be educational.

6. cat1234

cat1234 New Egg

Oct 19, 2014
    keighley west yorkshire
    Hi
    No they definatley were both ladies! My husband got me them from a farmer near his work and were both together when he bought them and ive not seen them be nasty towards each other at all, they are both fully grown

7. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    OK, I would say it's really unlikely that one killed the other then. I think one was just unwell and passed of her own accord. It's very unfortunate indeed, especially so soon after getting them.

You will have to try and get another one to keep the remaining bird company. Chickens are very social and she will be missing her friend. Are you able to get another from the same place you got those two? That way you wouldn't have to worry about quarantining them.

Krista

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by