Help needed...does my chick have spraddle leg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jennhalcyon, May 2, 2017.

1. jennhalcyon

jennhalcyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2017
    Hi everyone, we are a new chicken parents and have 16 chicks a few weeks old. Yesterday I noticed one check laying down more frequently than the others. Today that same chick couldn't get up to eat or drink. After a little research it looks like maybe she has spraddle leg. I took some photos and I am hoping maybe someone with some experience can help. For now, I have moved her to her own box and have hand fed her some food and water.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    The ones ive had with spraddle were newborn and the bandaid trick worked on them. I would also check the stools for blood and consider possibility of coccidiosis but if that was it i think others would have it too. Sorry i'm not sure!

3. jennhalcyon

jennhalcyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2017
    I did the band aid thing and put her back in with the other chicks. Bad idea...they somehow got it and are chasing each other down for ownership of said band aid! I redid the band aid splints and put her back in her own box for now. She hates the band aid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by