HELP needed fast!! EMERGENCY!! Egg stuck half out pic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hennypen, May 8, 2011.

1. Hennypen

Hennypen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    [​IMG]

this is a soft egg. It is stuck on something, looks like a blood vessel??

What should I do?

2. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:It looks like a prolapse I wish I could do more to help you but I have never had this happen to me before. Maybe do a search on prolapses.

3. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    We're headed to the vet. Luckily my chicken dr works on the weekends.

4. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    He's going to sedate her so he can get a better look. He doesn't think it's a prolapse but may be some kind of outer soft shell of an egg that's got tangled in a blood vessel on the way out.

5. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    good luck, let us know what he finds!

6. nicokl502

nicokl502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Kansas City Mo
    poor thing that happen to my little ones too try hot water with some salts in it, sugar ,try to slip the the egg ,also crack then egg but if you do that you have to make sure you get it all out of her if you do that she may never lay again or live , but dont cut it out because whats warped around the egg is her insides and wont be good for her, try all you can if you can get it out use some sugar and her inside should go back in put her in a dark place so she wont lay another egg and she should be fine good lucky just keep trying one of mine lived and she is fine now but my other little one didn't make but do all you can to help her out and hope for the best

7. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    The egg mass was attached to a vessel of some kind. He said when he pulled on that a string of follicles came out. The problem, they looked diseased. ??? He said to watch for her being egg bound. He doesn't know if she'll lay a normal egg or not, it's a watch and see.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  8. LeasureChix

LeasureChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Medford OR
    Is she a pullet? First egg? I hope she pulls through for you. Lucky your chicken Dr works weekends/holidays.

Good luck,

Julie

9. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    I was told she's a couple years old.

I biught her in January and she was laying then. But I could never get any if her eggs to hatch. They'd make it to day 18 and die. Then she went broody and then moulted, and now her feathers are growing back in. Other than these diseased follicles, she's very healthy. Eating, drinking, walking around like a hen should.

10. Colie <3

Colie <3 Collecting my Cuties

Feb 3, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Holy moley that looks scary! [​IMG] I hope she recovers poor little thing. To me it looked an awful lot like a prolapse but you know how pictures go... Is the vet going to give her some antibiotics or something? Or did he remove all of whatever that was cleanly? I don't know if I even want to know how much it cost to take her to the vet [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by