Help Needed fast

treeowl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 14, 2009
one of my hens breast is very enlarged. what is wrong? she seems miserable, at first i thought it must be normal but it is getting bigger and bigger, she has a hard time getting around, plz help i don't know what to do for her and the other chickens and rooster won't leave her alone.

Is the swelling to one side? If so I might suggest searching on enlarged crop and remove her from the harassment of the other hens/rooster. There are several posts related to this issue with some great recommendations for recovery.

Check it first thing in the morning before she has eaten anything. It sounds as though you are looking at her crop, which fills as they eat. Take all food away tonight so you can properly check in the morning, it should be gone by then.

plz help answer my qustion i am new to oning chickens and i don't even really know what is the best way o explain my problem i a desperate

i have puther in a cage in the chicken houseso the others ca'tget to her. i did puwater in tere with her and she drank and drank, this has been growing for tree days. it does seem alittle one the side but it is so large its hard forme to tell

Is the swelling on her chest only on one side as you look at her? If so it is the crop that is full from overeating or it may be sluggish/blocked. I would immediately take food away from her, isolate her if possible in a cat carrier etc. and offer only water.

Just read recent post - good job to isolate her. Observe her overnight... you might want to smell her breath...Yuh, I know it sounds strange but she may have sour crop. It will smell - well stinky and acidic. Let her rest and check her in the morning...in the meantime search this site - there are great posts in the event that surgery is required.

Last edited:
But did you palaptate her crop? It is the first thing food goes into in a chicken before it goes to the gizzard, it is at the base of the neck on top of the breast? Does she have access to grit? She sunds plugged up!
Oh sorry, someone else is helpin', sorry!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom