HELP NEEDED FOR INCUBATING EMU EGGS.

Corny Caleb

Songster
5 Years
Jan 25, 2014
NJ
I have started incubating a fertile Emu egg, (it weighs 630 grams). And will probably get three more next week. I'm incubating it with a fan incubator at 97.2-8. degrees, and 36 percent humidity, and rotating every 8 hours back and forth. Does anyone have any tips for better emu hatching rates?

I have started incubating a fertile Emu egg, (it weighs 630 grams). And will probably get three more next week. I'm incubating it with a fan incubator at 97.2-8. degrees, and 36 percent humidity, and rotating every 8 hours back and forth. Does anyone have any tips for better emu hatching rates?

lower temps (95.5) and weigh the eggs to determine placement in relation to the fan and to determine weight loss for proper humidity..
other that that it really depends on the supplier of the eggs and if they were damaged at all during transit

OK, I'll lower the temp. I'm not sure if i understand "placement in relation to the fan" bit. I'm incubating it in a pretty small fan incubator so any and all eggs are really close too the fan. Or have I misunderstood? And I've been told too have the humidity at 50 percent then 80, closer too hatch time.

OK, I'll lower the temp. I'm not sure if i understand "placement in relation to the fan" bit. I'm incubating it in a pretty small fan incubator so any and all eggs are really close too the fan. Or have I misunderstood? And I've been told too have the humidity at 50 percent then 80, closer too hatch time.

you would drown an emu with humidity like that... most people incubate around 30ish% (there are exceptions though)..

anyway.. weighing the eggs will be your best determining factor to figuring out the proper humidity for those particular eggs in your home and in that incubator.. if they lose too much weight too rapidly you increase the humidity.. too little weight loss and you should decrease the humidity

"in relation to the fan"... by that I mean if the eggs are too close to the fan they will end up losing weight too quickly.. just like any other egg... so you may have to find a way to block the fan's flow a bit if the eggs are losing weight too quickly..

Thanks so much for the info. Should the egg lose about 20 grams a week? or like, how many grams are usual?

Back
Top Bottom