Help needed for little billy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrslb333, Jan 24, 2011.

1. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Hiya, I have an 8 week old silkie chick up until now he's been fine he currently lives with a 12 week old legbar. They have been indoors in a dog crate type cage as it was too cold to keep them in shed as they are still little and it's far too cold. They usually just cuddle up together and don't bother with the brooder ( they have a Brinsea Eco glow in with them ). On saturday I put them in the she with a fan heater and raised the height of the Eco glow as neither could get under it. They were out for 4 hours max but since then little Billy has been under the brooder laying down. Today he's much worse laying on his side and panting he also feels really warm. I've given him some water with baby vitamins and some vitamin b in but I don't know what else to do. Could he have overheated? Or is it more likely to be disease. The legbar is absolutely fine.
    Thanks in advance

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    not sure, but could he have gotten cold while out in the shed, did they have water? I could see a fan drying him out quicker. I hope he does ok, good luck. New to chickens, but 8 weeks vs. 12 weeks in young chicken life is huge, also, you may want to separate him from the other until you know if he is sick or not

3. mrslb333

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Hiya, thanks for your reply.
    Yes they had lots of food and water and the cage was dry. He's been isolated now and I've thoroughly disinfected their cage, feeding equipment so hopefully that will help to lessen the spread if it is a disease. [​IMG]

4. mrslb333

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Anyone with any ideas? He's holding on but still can't stand he just falls to the side. I have him propped up with a towel. [​IMG]

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's possible he got overheated and, as a result, dehydrated, and just hasn't drunk enough to revive. You may have to force the issue, but be careful of aspiration. Is he drinking any on his own? You could try some very wet food as that will get mostly water in him. Will he take yogurt? Do you have anything with electrolytes like gatorade? You could put a pinch of suf=gar in the water, and perhaps a small sprinkle of salt as well.

6. mrslb333

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Quote:I've been syringing water with vitamins into his beak. He's been eating chick crumb that I mixed with some yoghurt. Just sent DH to the shop to get some Gatorade. Hope it helps [​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If you think he may have a fever you might try giving him a little of a baby aspirin dissolved in his water Not sure about the dose though.

8. mrslb333

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Quote:I have baby paracetamol or baby ibuprofen would either of those work?

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't know what paracetamol is, but you should not give chickens ibuprofen..

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's Tylenol. acetaminophen, and no, you should not give that to chickens either. You can however give a baby aspirin to him; he may just eat it for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by